Friday, June 18, 2010

test ride

I got a couple of new chainrings and mounted them last evening. Late this afternoon I got a chance to road test them. Why road test you ask? Well, the new chainrings are a bit larger than the original ones and required moving the deraileur up a bit to clear. I had it pretty close, only required one small tweek to get it all functioning.

Now if I'm behind you on a downhill run, or in a good tailwind, watch out! I've got a 56x43x30 triple with an 11-28 10spd rear cog set. What that calculates out to is that I can pedal just over 49 mph without exceeding 120rpm. 41 mph at a more mundane 100 rpm.

I rode out Tooze Rd to Ladd Hill, up and over Ladd Hill to Wilsonville Rd then back to Wilsonville via Grahams Ferry and a few other meanderings.

Tomorrow I bike commute to Salem for a meeting. I have a graduation party to attend late afternoon so I'm not sure how many miles I'll get but hope to get 100 in. Sunday my recently returned South American wanderer Race Across Oregon partner and I will be searching for 100 miles in the hills around Corbett and Columbia River Gorge.

5 weeks left before Race Across Oregon. Neither one of us feel ready, and at this late date there isn't a whole lot that can be done about it. That's okay, goal 1 is to finish, goal 2 is to have fun. We should be able to accomplish both of those.

And finally, after 9 days and nights of riding, RAAM riders are beginning to roll across the finish line in Annapolis MD. Jure Robic came in as the first solo rider at 9 days, 1 hour, and 1 minute. Congratulations to him on a great race.

One sobering note, of the 6 solo riders in what would be my bracket if I were participating,(male, 50-59) 5 have dnf'd. The one remaining rider in the bracket is on a recumbent, all the others on traditional bikes. Probably good numbers to remember if I ever entertain thoughts of putting myself through this.



............BIKE............LIFECYCLE.....ROLLERS....TOTAL
Today.......21................0.............0..........21
Jan........618...............0..............0.........618
Feb........692...............0..............0.........692
March......940...............0..............5.........940
April......934...............0..............0.........934
May........905...............0..............0.........905
June.......577...............0..............0.........577
_________________________________________
TOTAL.....4681...............0..............5.........4686

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.