Friday, June 25, 2010

The long days of summer

I just love the long daylight of Oregon summers. Sunset tonight was 9:03. I went for a ride beginning shortly after 6PM. I pedaled out Boones Ferry Rd from the Willamette River until I ran out of Boones Ferry Rd just north of Gervais. I continued the mile or so into Gervais where I stopped and called a friend who lives there who just came back from crewing for Sandy Earl on RAAM. We talked for 20 minutes until I decided I best get pedaling before I ran out of daylight. I pedaled back via Butteville Rd until I got to Donald where I jumped back east and rejoined Boones Ferry Rd for the run back to the Boone Bridge over the Willamette River and back home.

It was a pretty fast pedal back with an average of almost 19 mph, but I did make it back over the Boone Bridge before the sun went down. :-)

Tomorrow I ride up McKenzie Pass from the west side. For those not familiar with Hwy 242 the climb up is a curvy steep 10 miles or so called "Dead Horse Grade". There is no mention of dead cyclists so we figure it's safe!

A side benefit...... the road closes for winter and won't be open for autos until Wednesday. The snow should be cleared by now. The weather is predicted to be great!

As if that's not enough, on Sunday I'm riding 140 miles via the Willamette Valley Scenic Bicycle Route from Champoeg Park near Wilsonville to Armitage Park in Eugene. The impetus for such a ride is that my niece is moving to Eugene and her folks are hauling her stuff down there and will be driving an empty Penske truck back Sunday evening. .........they've offerered to haul bike and I back northward!

............BIKE............LIFECYCLE.....ROLLERS....TOTAL
Today.......42................0.............0..........42
Jan........618...............0..............0.........618
Feb........692...............0..............0.........692
March......940...............0..............5.........940
April......934...............0..............0.........934
May........905...............0..............0.........905
June.......900...............0..............0.........900
_________________________________________
TOTAL.....5004...............0..............5.........5009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.