Tuesday, September 1, 2009

no riding so far

For the first day in many many days I'm not on the bike.........yet.
I may get there later but who knows!

I've been taking care of Furnace Creek details. I had planned on using my 1500 watt inverter to power a small microwave oven in the support vehicle. I just thought it would be as convenient as heck to be able to warm food and beverage for both crew and rider as we traveled the course. Last year we stopped several times to fire up a small backpacker style stove and warm soup for our rider. I was hoping to be able to that without the disadvantage of stopping. At our team meeting the other evening some concerns were voiced about that ability of the inverter to supply enough power for the microwave. Today I tested the setup and am happy to report that it works just fine. My crew will be able to feast on all sorts of culinary delights as they follow me around the Mojave Desert!
Taquitos anyone? Hungry Man frozen dinners???

Since my new wheels are tubular rather than clincher I had a local bike shop mount the new Gatorskin tires on the rims for me. I'll be picking those up shortly. I didn't want to wonder about my yet to be acquired tubular mounting skills as I turn into a corner on a 50 mph descent of Townes Pass!

"Hey Tank, download me a "tubular tire changing program" (with a nod of the head to Trinity in "The Matrix")


I have a fire board meeting this evening but hope to get other preparations (hardware related) taken care of today before having to go to that.

UPDATE:

Well, I had a bikey day, but no riding. I do have a bit of a life outside biking but that's not chronicled here usually. Tonight I have a board meeting and have to leave in 30 minutes so there won't be time to ride. I spent the day getting my bike ready for Furnace Creek. Wheels changed, brakes changed, reflective material installed, washed, waxed, chain lubed.

Ain't she pretty! ;-)



I'll take the bike out for a spin tomorrow and see how it all feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.