Thursday, September 24, 2009

No, you haven't been missing anything

I'm the one missing something...riding! I had thought that if I could just ride my bike the usual amount but actually ride it 4 weeks of the month that I'd get 2000 miles in a month, for the first and very likely the last, time.

That idea has gone out the window. I hadn't taken into account just how much time would be required to get all the details in order for a Furnace Creek 508 endeavor. I had done much of this before when I was a member of the Race Across Oregon team last year, but had some help then, and it was local so there wasn't quite the planning required. Travel to and from as well as lodging and meals for the crew and I weren't even on the table for RAO.

I've spent the week getting the support vehicle set up. It's ready to go as of 5PM today. Flashing amber lights, "Caution Bikes Ahead" signage, rider ID signage, 115v service for the microwave oven, charging stations for GPS, cell phones, walkie talkies, laptop. Auxilliary lighting for better night illumination as well as a feeding zone light, a trouble light utilizing our 115v for roadside repairs on the bike at night, vehicle flats, engine trouble, just about anything at night that happens within 25 ft of the vehicle........the list goes on.

It was a perfect day to be on the bike, but I just didn't get there. Tomorrow afternoon I'm off to a two day conference/meeting related to one of the other hats I wear. I'm taking my bike with me in hopes of getting some riding in each morning before the meeting get started.

So, if you wonder why I haven't been logging my rides the answer is simple....
I haven't been riding!
:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.