Wednesday, September 2, 2009

2nd day of the month, first ride....Wilsonville Century

I took the new Zipp wheels with tubular Gatorskins out for a spin today. I rode a route that we've come to call "The Wilsonville Century" It's a nice route for self supported riding with opportunities to resupply about every 20 miles or so.

My tires have a maximum pressure rating of 170 psi, I had them at 160 psi today expecting to just get hammered to death with vibration. Boy was I in for a surprise. I don't know if it was the carbon rims, the tubular tires, or a combination of both but the ride was buttery smooth. My other wheels have clincher tires and at my normal 120 psi inflation I can feel every bump in the road. Today several times I'd grip the handlebars tighter as I saw rough pavement approaching only to roll over it surprisingly smoothly. Gotta love it!

They are a bit noisy. The tires have a bit of herring bone type tread and the hum that generates is amplified by the deep dish carbon. My bike now sings to me!
Along with a loudly ratcheting rear hub and there is no more stealth mode for me, at least when on these wheels. :-(

It was a nice ride today, great weather. I better enjoy it while I can, a downturn predicted for the weekend........and the rapidly shortening daylight tells us that summer is on it's way out.

My niece has been working on a logo for my Furnace Creek 508 team. Here it is in grey scale. Color coming. Getting up against deadlines so glad to have something in hand at this point.




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today...........103...............0................103
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....860.....+.........0........=.......860
April total.....790.....+.........0........=.......790
May total.......901.....+.........0........=.......901
June total......543.....+.........0........=.......543
July total.....1322.....+.........0........=......1322
August total...1603.....+.........0........=......1603
Sept total......103.....+.........0........=.......103
Year to date...7296.....+.........30.......=......7316
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.