Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Another hot one

I rode from Wilsonville this morning leaving just shortly after 8AM. I jumped on I-5 for the ride over the Boone Bridge then exited and headed towards Champoeg Park. Before reaching the park I took a left on Butteville Rd and rode to Gervais. The hot weather has really made the hops reach for the sky. Here's the hop fields near Crosby Rd.
I eventually arrived in Salem and made my way to the Oregon Fire District Director's Association office where I checked in with the folks there. (I'm on the board of directors).
After a brief visit I filled my water bottles and proceeded back north. I took a turn on Cummings St putting me on the Monster Cookie Metric Century course and taking me out to Windsor Island. I was very surprised to find a very fresh coat of chipseal.Not bad as far as chipseal goes, but still a lot rougher than the previous surface, and not all that fun to ride on. Windsor Island Rd winds through some pretty productive farmland. Here's a field of green beans.

I continued to pedal on. Here's my "dashboard".
I made a stop at Champoeg Park on the return to refill my water bottles. While there a dad and his daughter pedaled in. They had started in Eugene several days before and were riding to Tacoma. Just the very minimum of gear, obviously NOT Randonneurs! I presumed motel stays but didn't ask. The older gentleman, a black man, said he looked at his life a few years ago and determined that he would eventually die with money left over so decide to start bike touring. He and his daughter have toured Viet Nam, Cambodia, Patagonia, Canada and a few other places on a bike now. When I grow up I want to be like them! :-)

It was warm, I had more than 75 miles on this warm day and was looking forward to the end in Wilsonville. That's when this showed up:
That meant a 12-15 mile detour through Canby and some pretty serious climbing in the neighborhood of the Canby Ferry to get back to Wilsonville. After pedaling about a half mile toward Canby I changed my mind and went back to Boone Bridge and became a pedestrian on the shoulder of the south bound lanes....with me walking my bike north across the bridge. I stopped to take this picture of the Willamette River as I crossed.

After the brief stint as a pedestrian I hopped back on the bike and made my way up Wilsonville Rd completing the ride.

It was 103 when I finished at 1:15 PM!

Here's my route:


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today............79...............0.................79
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....860.....+.........0........=.......860
April total.....790.....+.........0........=.......790
May total.......901.....+.........0........=.......901
June total......543.....+.........0........=.......543
July total.....1276.....+.........0........=......1276
Year to date...5546.....+.........30.......=......5576
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.