Monday, December 29, 2014

Day 59

It was a beautiful, if breezy and cold, day.  At noon I hopped on the bike and pedaled out in search of 40 miles. That would put me over 600 miles for the month, a worthy goal, and within 50 miles of getting more miles than I did last month.

I rolled down off Queen Anne and crossed the Fremont Bridge.  I tossed a virtual coin and decided to turn left and ride down the Ship Canal Trail.  I turned up 8th Ave NW and rode to Echo Lake, it was uphill and into a 10-12 mph wind.  The temperature was in the high 30's. After I got to the lake I turned around and backtracked to the Ship Canal, enjoying the downhill and tailwind!

When I got to the Ship Canal I caught glimpses of snow covered peaks and decided to ride to Golden Gardens to take in the view of the Olympic Mountains.


When I got to Golden Gardens, the sandy beaches and people out enjoying the day reminded me of some tropical location, except for the snow covered peaks, and the cold wind blowing!


The wind brought out folks with wind powered toys.  Kites, sailboats, kitesurfers, all were dancing in the wind.


 

After watching the waves, wind, and people for awhile, I turned around and let the wind blow me back toward the Hiram Chittenden Locks. Just before reaching the locks I passed under a railroad bridge that with it's rusted iron and odd angles reminded me somewhat of that saying concerning train wrecks.

As I crossed over the locks I wondered again why this falling water isn't put to use.  With a tidal influence on the downstream side of the locks, there is a 6 to 26 ft fall.  I would think that would be enough to turn a generator, but then again I'm not a hydrologist.


After crossing the water I noted a sign that directed bicycles up a steeply inclined street marked "dead end" and saying "to Magnolia Center".  I've been around Magnolia several times, but never to Magnolia Center.  I figured it would be worth the low geared climb to see what I had been missing.  In a few short blocks I was directed to a narrow path that crossed a ravine on a narrow path then continued on up to residential streets.  I soon was on a gently descending route heading south.  I arrived in Magnolia Center and found it to be a shopping district in this otherwise residential and park covered hilly peninsula.

After passing through the commercial district I was soon on the familiar route that I normally take around Magnolia.  I followed that to the Dravus Street Bridge.  I would normally go straight to the Elliot Bay trail.  Sometimes I take the bridge and take an immediate left, getting on Emerson.  Since today was turning in to an exploratory adventure I decided to go straight up Dravus.  It was likely the steepest pitch of the day.  I got back up on the top of Queen Anne and noted that I was just a few miles short of my 40 mile goal.  No problem, some riding around the "Crown of Queen Anne" would bring me there.



...........road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total Today...........41...............0..............0...............0...............41 Jan.............710...............0...............0...............0............710
Feb............ 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ..........701...............0..............0...............0............701
April...........749...............0..............0...............0............749
May.............613...............0..............0...............0............613
June............309...............0..............0...............0............309
July............615...............0..............0...............0............615
August..........359...............0..............0...............0............359
Sept............292...............0..............0...............0............292
Oct.............708...............0..............0...............0............708
Nov.............650...............0..............0...............0............650
Dec..............605.................0..............0...............0...........605 Total..........6781...............0..............0...............0...........6781

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.