Saturday, December 27, 2014

Day 57

Today was my 57th consecutive day on the bike.  Whenever I think that might be something special, I am reminded that 3 guys will be going for the Highest Annual Mileage Record beginning January 1st.  If they ride everyday, they will have to ride about 225 miles each day to get the record.  By comparison, my 57 days of piddling around amounts to nothing.

 I needed a different grinder disc for a project.  I could have biked 4 miles south to a Home Depot and got the supplies I needed, but I wanted to bike a bit longer, so I mapped out a route to a Home Depot that was just over 8 miles away instead.

It was a nice ride northward.  It was cloudy, but not raining.  The wind was moderate and was helping push me along.  The last part of my route was on the Interurban Trail.  I pulled into the Home Depot, locked my bike up, and went inside and got my needed supplies.  It was not lost on me that most who shopped in this store had the knowledge (and the necessary tools just inside the store, or in the back of their pickup)  to make quick work of any lock.  I moved quickly.

After finishing my shopping I came back out to the bike and noted that it was still not raining.  I decided to get back on the Interurban Trail and ride farther north. I had been biking moderately uphill since Ballard but with the tailwind it didn't require a lot of effort, but it now started raining lightly. There were some artsy signs showing fish swimming that got me to feeling like a salmon swimming upstream.



As I rode past the Gateway Shopping Center I noted that it was raining lightly and 46 degrees.


I continued on just a few more blocks then turned around.  If I had known that I was just a few blocks short of Echo Lake I probably would have turned around there instead.

As I rode back, the rain increased a bit in intensity, though still not heavy.  I was rolling down the gentle grade at 25 mph without pedaling, and did so for miles.  When I reached Ballard I had to pedal, but it was level so it was still quite easy.

I crossed the Fremont Bridge, and noted that  the rain stopped and that the painting project is still not complete. There has been some pretty decent weather for painting in the last few weeks.  I wonder what the hold up is? I guess much of the work being done is not visible to the general public.

I started back up Queen Anne via the Kralik Way, but detoured for some bonus climbing since the weather had improved.  I came around the west side of Queen Anne and started up.  Many of the streets I pedaled up ended in stairways.  Many of those streets that continued would change to brick or stone.



As I zigged and zagged my way up the hill I noted a good view or two across Elliot Bay.


There is a ship in that sun soaked water.
I finally made it to the top of Queen Anne and finished up day 57.  Despite the rain, it was a nice ride. (I've biked in a lot worse!)




...........road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total Today...........29...............0..............0...............0...............29 Jan.............710...............0...............0...............0............710
Feb............ 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ..........701...............0..............0...............0............701
April...........749...............0..............0...............0............749
May.............613...............0..............0...............0............613
June............309...............0..............0...............0............309
July............615...............0..............0...............0............615
August..........359...............0..............0...............0............359
Sept............292...............0..............0...............0............292
Oct.............708...............0..............0...............0............708
Nov.............650...............0..............0...............0............650
Dec..............513.................0..............0...............0...........513 Total..........6689...............0..............0...............0...........6689

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.