Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Day 46-Golden Gardens

Today was the 46th consecutive day on the bike.  I started out late morning for a ride and thought I might go around Magnolia (I love the views from there) and on out to Lincoln Park in West Seattle.  The temperature was in the low 50's and the sky was grey, but roads were dry.  I decided to leave the rain coat behind because "if it starts raining I'll just turn around and come back".

As I rolled down Queen Anne I decided to detour a bit and go to Magnolia via the Chittenden Locks.  As I approached the locks I decided that I would ride out to Golden Gardens.......... just because.
It was a nice ride out there with the benefit of a tailwind. Along the way I stopped to take a photo at the Shilshole Bay Marina. There were a lot of boats there!



I got out to Golden Gardens and struck up a conversation with an older guy who had spent his life as a commercial fisherman based out of Seattle. He was just sitting there on a bench watching the water. He was an interesting fellow. 


At the restored wetland there were a lot of ducks, and these two guys.


The seagull on the right was an easy ID, but the bird on the left had me a bit baffled.  I never got a better look at it than what you see in the photo. It seemed too small and short legged to be a Great Blue Heron.  I suspect it may be a Green Heron.

As I pedaled back toward the locks it began to rain very lightly.  I had a windbreaker on that would shed light rain, but the sky was dark and had that look that said "this in not a passing shower, it's going to rain the rest of the day".  When I got back to the locks I didn't turn in, instead continuing back to Fremont. The rain continued, and increased slightly.

The "bike pansy" in my head convinced me to ride back up Queen Anne rather than venture out farther and get soaked. I pedaled back up via the Kralik Way.  It continued to rain lightly, the road was getting wet but I made it to the top before I had a chance to get wet or cold. Rather than the 50ish miles I had planned on, it turned into an 18 mile ramble.


 46 consecutive days on the bike got into the book.

...........road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total Today............18...............0..............0...............0..............18 Jan.............710...............0..............0...............0............710
Feb............ 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ..........701...............0..............0...............0............701
April...........749...............0..............0...............0............749
May.............613...............0..............0...............0............613
June............309...............0..............0...............0............309
July............615...............0..............0...............0............615
August..........359...............0..............0...............0............359
Sept............292...............0..............0...............0............292
Oct.............708...............0..............0...............0............708
Nov.............650...............0..............0...............0............650
Dec..............294.................0..............0...............0...........294 Total..........6480...............0..............0...............0...........6480

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.