Sunday, May 26, 2013

Mt Constitution repeats

No internet here, posting via text message. More details to follow but rode up Mt Constitution in the San Juan Islands twice. 32 miles, over 5000 ft of climbing. Yes, it rained the entire time.

UPDATE:

I was spending the weekend at the Doe Bay Resort on Orcas Island, one of the San Juan Islands in Washington State's Puget Sound. As luck would have it, I was very near Mt Constitution and it's fabled climb. As luck would also have it, it rained pretty much nonstop, and certainly for every minute I was on the bike today.

I could easily have made excuses to not ride in the rain, and was doing my best to do so, but I knew I had to ride if I was going to have any hope of being prepared to Race Across Oregon in 7 weeks.

I put on my rain gear and hopped on the rain bike and out the door I went.

On the way up I noted with some bewilderment as well as amusement, that there were designated bike pullouts from time to time. Was I required to pull into the grass at these locations and allow cars to pass or to grab a bar from my pocket? Was it illegal for me to do so if there was not a sign in a particular location?



As I made my climb up I was passed by several cars coming down the hill. There was a distinct aroma of hot brakes. That told me that 1) there was a long climb ahead of me, and 2) there was going to be a fun run down!




I made it to the top, and as expected there was no view to be had. I walked around the summit tower, gasping and snorting the entire time following the hot and steamy climb. (remember that I was in rain gear!) The tower, as well as many other structures in Moran State Park, was built by the CCC in the 1930's. It had that look so familiar with us raised in the Pacific Northwest and visiting places like Mt Rainier, Crater Lake, and Timberline Lodge.



I was the object of interest for the tourists there. Most were amazed that some nut would ride a bike up to the top of this hill in this weather. I had a good visit with many of them. Soon it was time for me to get going, I planned to ride the hill twice today. I hopped back on the bike and took off.

Here's the descent. Wet and debris littered roads required both keeping the speed down, and the brakes warm!



Once on the bottom I turned around and went back up again, not because I expected a better view, just because I needed the training.


Today.................32...........0..............0..........0..............32 Jan..................93..............0...............0.........0..............93 Feb................411..............0..............0.........0............411 March.............653.............0..............0.........0............653 April..............696..............0...............0.........0............696 May...............783...............0...............0.........0.............783
Total...........2639.............0...............0..........0.............2639

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.