Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Run to Redmond REI

The forecast today was for unsettled weather with a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. I wanted to get to REI in Redmond to pick up rider packets for Saturday's Haul Ash ride. I spent the morning working on details for my crew chief duties on the upcoming Race Across the West, but finally at noon with weather looking better than expected I started out by bike to Redmond.

I was in a bit of time constraint as I had evening plans. I rolled down Queen Ann via the most direct (and steepest) way. I was surprised to see about a dozen sheriff deputies toiling up the 26% grade on mtn bikes. Not all made it. ;-)

I got on the Burke-Gilman trail and pedaled along. When I got about 15 miles out I made a refueling stop at McDonalds, then continued. The longer I pedaled the more I became concerned about my time. I was pedaling 17-18 mph on the trail, but I was taking much longer to pedal the 27 miles than I had planned.

I rolled into REI just after 3PM. Luckily, the packet pickup process went smoothly and I was back on the road by 3:15 PM. I kept the pace up near 20 mph, knowing that I had to be back no later than 5PM, and at the very end of the trip I'd have a 400 ft climb. I ran into a bit of heavy bike/pedestrian traffic near U of W, but it didn't last long. By 4:50 O was pm the Fremont Bridge and at the base of that nasty climb back up Queen Ann. I knew I had no time to ponder, I just started up. I have a 4 mile easy route up the hill that stays below 10%, but knew I could not cover that distance in 15 minutes. Instead I went straight up 4th, with it's 26% grades. I pushed as hard as I could on the hill. My heart was pounding, my lungs were bursting, my legs were screaming, but I made it up in 9 minutes! .....and we made it to our evening appointment on time. :-)


Today.................54...........0..............0..........0..............54 Jan..................93..............0...............0.........0..............93 Feb................411..............0..............0.........0............411 March.............653.............0..............0.........0............653 April..............696..............0...............0.........0............696 May...............579...............0...............0.........0.............579 Total...........2435.............0...............0..........0.............2435

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.