Saturday, March 31, 2012

I am no longer a Oregon Randonneur

The Oregon Randonneurs were riding the Molalla Foothills 200k today. I was a member of the Oregon Randonneurs last year, but did not renew my membership. One of the main reasons I rode with them was that no matter if it is cold and raining, they will show up and ride. My social bike club not so much.

I've been riding too many social rides, this morning at 6AM it was dark, and raining hard. I had thought about riding with the Randos, but decided it was more comfortable to stay warm and dry. Finally it got light, but still raining hard. Light was a bit better, but by this time I would not be able to be to the start of the ride before they had left. However, their route allowed for a pretty easy modification to cut off miles.



I decided to cut out the Molalla River Canyon portion and see if I could catch up with them in the town of Molalla, 53 miles in for them, about 14 for me. They started at 7AM, I started at 9:30.

It was daylight, and perhaps just a bit warmer than it was for them when I started off. It was raining ....hard.

I arrived in Molalla about 10:15am. I was sure that the lead of the group must be ahead of me so I continued pedaling along. It was still raining as I left Silverton. I climbed up to Silver Falls State Park. Finally the sky started to lighten up a bit, the rain tapered off, and finally quit altogether. The roads dried out. I took off my raingear and stowed it in my backpack. What dampness had creeped into my clothes soon dried in the wind as I pedaled.

I arrived back in Canby at 3PM, decidedly more comfortable than I was earlier in the day when I started out. I never did see the Randonneurs but had a good ride.

I did see a facebook post where one of them finished just before 8PM,.... by then it was dark.... and raining again. I'm glad I was back home warm and dry.

.........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........89..............0.............0..........0...........89
Jan.........105.............34.............0..........0..........139
Feb.........428............108.............0.........24..........536
March.......809..............0.............0.........22..........831
YTD........1342............142.............0.........46.........1530

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.