Wednesday, November 29, 2017

I had my two week follow-up appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon yesterday afternoon.  The pain in my knee was found to be not the result of a fracture, but from a build up of fluid.  The doctor is hoping it will self rectify.



My sore rib was not x-rayed because...... well because there isn't much you can do about a rib that is broken.anyway.


My fractured arm is still fractured.  I didn't get a photo of the x-ray, but there is a longitudinal crack from the elbow to about 1/3 of the way to the wrist. The area of the concern to the doctor is that the crack continues through the elbow joint. I understand that technically this is called a radial head fracture. I've approximated the position of the fracture on this photo.



The doctor tells me that if I put stress on the arm that I may completely break the radial head. I'm told that I'll be immobilized for 4-6 more weeks to allow the bone to heal. At least the new splint allows me some use of my dominant hand. Useful for writing and typing!  Still can't tie my own shoes though.  I've been warned that though my fingers are now free, that any use other than very light duty, risks breaking the elbow joint. :-(


Given that I have plans to join some friends and participate in Race Across Oregon next July I really need to be riding.  I decided to try riding a stationary bike at the gym.  As I mounted the bike, there was some pain in my knee but that stopped as soon as I was seated. I put my one good arm on the handlebars to steady myself, and began pedaling. The knee wasn't hurting too badly, so far so good. As I picked up the pace, and increased the resistance I soon found out that the rib would be the limiting factor today.  Full breaths were painful. I reduced the resistance and slowed the pace.  I just spun pedals for the remainder of my goal of 5 "miles".


Hardly #ridingeverydayinNovember,  but at least I know that in a few months I'll have options.



........Road Bike........Rollers.......MTB..........Lifecycle......Total

Today ....0.................0.................0...............5...............5

Jan.........304................15................0...............31..........350

Feb..........0..................0..................0...............0.............0

March.......18.................0.................0...............0............18

April.......113................0.................0...............0...........113

May.........155................0.................0...............0...........155

June..........10.................0.................0................0.............10

July..........79..................0.................0................0.............79

Aug..........76...................0.................0................0............76

Sept...........97..................0.................0................0............97

Oct..........36....................0................0................0.............36

Nov.........205....................0................0................0............205

Total......1099...............15.................0...............36..........1150

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.