Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Day 15, #ridingeverydayinNovember

Well, I made it half way through #ridingeverydayinNovember before getting hit by a driver in a car.
:-(  It was a rainy day, there was nearly and inch and a quarter of rain by late afternoon, and a bit cool as well.


 I had errands to run during the day so could not get on the bike until dark. #ridingeverydayinNovember called, so I selected a route that I used to ride when I was training for races, and working full time, a 20+ mile loop that had wide shoulders with bike lanes, plenty of street lights, and mostly low traffic roads. At least the rain had abated.

 I was 4 1/2 miles into my ride when a driver saw me, but thought she could beat me to the intersection (Boones Ferry and Iowa) to make a right turn.  She didn't. I was a victim of the dreaded "right hook". She didn't turn in front of me, she turned right into me.

 I was well lit, and on my highly reflectorized "rain bike".



With an equal amount of reflectivity on my clothing and helmet, as well as wearing a class 2 Safety vest there was no question that I was visible

A witness to the incident stopped and gave his contact information to me, and he also called the Tualatin Police.  Sergeant Jeremy Rankin responded and filled out a report.



I sent an email to Sergeant Rankin asking him to cite the driver under ORS 811.050

I just want the driver to think.  I want all road users to be responsible. The "law of lug nuts" shouldn't be the law of the land.

........Road Bike........Rollers.......MTB..........Lifecycle......Total
Today ....9.................0.................0...............0...............9
Jan.........304................15................0...............31..........350
Feb..........0..................0..................0...............0.............0
March.......18.................0.................0...............0............18
April.......113................0.................0...............0...........113
May.........155................0.................0...............0...........155
June..........10.................0.................0................0.............10
July..........79..................0.................0................0.............79
Aug..........76...................0.................0................0............76
Sept...........97..................0.................0................0............97
Oct..........36....................0................0................0.............36
Nov.........205....................0................0................0............205
Total......1099...............15.................0...............31..........1145

3 comments:

  1. Sergeant Jeremy Rankin Today at 8:23 PM
    To Kevin

    Kevin,

    I appreciate email and I was aware that there was a violation of the statute. I understand your desire to have a citation issued, however based on my discretion as a police officer I did not and will not be issuing the other driver one. She took accountability for her actions and I agree that she did see you and thought she could make the turn without hitting you. The reasons I am not issuing a citation is because the weather and visibility was poor, it was a downhill and she may have had trouble gauging your speed, and she took full accountability for what happened. She was at fault for the collision, but after taking in the totality of the circumstance I chose to not cite her.

    If you have any further questions please contact me.

    Sincerely,

    Sergeant Jeremy Rankin
    Tualatin Police Department
    503-xxx-xxxx

    From: Kevin
    Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:20 PM
    To: Jeremy Rankin
    Subject: Tonight's incident involving a motor vehicle and a cyclist

    Good evening Sergeant Rankin,


    My name is Kevin Van Dyke. I am the cyclist who was "right hooked" tonight. (case #17-3198)

    I would ask you to consider citing the driver of the motor vehicle under ORS 811.050.
    I don't believe that the driver acted intentionally, but was certainly at fault.
    I used to cycle a lot, over 10,000 mi annually, but not so much this year. I've always advocated for personal responsibility, both for cyclists, and drivers. I believe that a citation for the driver will help drive home the point that all users need to share the road, and yield right of way when appropriate. I was visible, wearing a class 2 reflective vest, as well as reflective booties, reflective bands on my ankles, and reflective elements on my rain jacket, rain pants, and helmet cover. My bike has a huge amount of reflectivity. That I was visible to the driver is not in dispute. She just thought she could beat me to make her turn in front of me. She miscalculated. I didn't know she was turning until she was on top of me.

    If you want any more details, or have any questions of me, feel free to respond via email, or call me at 503-xxx-xxxx

    Thank you,
    Kevin Van Dyke
    ODL xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she have her right turn signal on? If not, then a definite citation is in order. How fast were you going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know, she never passed me. The witness would likely know. I was going under 20 mph.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.