Thursday, October 15, 2015

Thursday Again!

I started the day off with a 3 mile round trip on the fixed gear bike for a donut.

It is Thursday, and again time for the Thursday Night Ride.  This time I was tapped as an event host for a Meetup group that had shared the ride.  Several years ago I was voted "member of the year" of a 1500 member bicycling meetup group but within a few months I had left the group.  I got fed up with all the flakey people who'd say they were coming to an event, then not show up, or those who rattled the cage saying they wanted more beginner rides, then after that style of ride was posted, nobody would sign up to participate.  It has just been in the last month or so that I've stepped back into the Meetup circle, attending a few events.  Tonight reminded me of why I don't lead Meetup rides anymore.  I told people that I'd be riding into Salmon Street Springs from Sellwood Riverside Park, leaving promptly at 6:15. I had some takers, so arranged my schedule to be there.

I arrived early and had plenty of time.  I took some of that time to ride out to Cartlandia to have 3 of those yummy tacos.

While waiting for 6:15 to arrive I took the opportunity to look at the Sellwood Bridge construction. I had never looked at it from under the bridge before. From this angle one can see what the new bridge will look like.


  They moved the old bridge over to make room for construction of the new one.  You can see that being done HERE.

Finally it was time. Nobody showed up. 
No problem, I pedaled away at 6:15 PM, on the dot.

It was a pretty pedal.


The sunset tonight was striking.



I arrived at Salmon Street Springs, and in very short order the faithful began to arrive.


Nathan was back as leader tonight.  Our pace was a little slower and the group stayed together better. There was still some craziness among the ranks however.  I saw three crashes. There are just a lot of bikes in close quarters and not all are paying enough attention.  At least nobody was hurt (that I know of)

We finished up at Poet's Beach, beneath the west end of the Marquam Bridge.



After about 45 minutes of social time at the beach I pedaled back to Sellwood.


I ended up with 35 miles for the day.

.......Road' bike........Rollers.......MTB.......Lifecycle....Total
Today.......35...............0..............0..............0.............35
Jan..........765.............0..............0..............0.............765
Feb..........248............0..............0..............0..............248
March......183...........0...............0.............0...............183
April........228...........0...............0.............0...............228
May.........200............0..............0.............0...............200
June.........199...........0...............26...........0...............225
July..........246...........0...............0.............0...............246
August.....502...........0...............0.............0...............502
Sept..........974...........0..............44............0..............1018
Oct...........659............0...............0.............0...............659
Total........4056.........0...............70............0..............4126

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.