Sunday, October 4, 2015

Can't Fix Stupid

I joined a few folks for a ride of the recent Harvest Century route. This time we'd do it in reverse fashion.
Even before we started, some decided to go on an abbreviated version.  A brisk northeast wind was predicted today and it would take a lot of the fun out of this.


Our ride organizer, Paul, invited everyone to his home for a preride breakfast.  Dave and I had breakfast along the way, but topped off reserves when we arrived.

8 of us took off on our quest.  I was just hoping to be able to hang on.  The gang took off slightly downhill at 25 mph.  They slowed to 22 as we leveled out, and held it.  I knew I was going to be in trouble.  Paul had a pacemaker installed last year to help with a slow pulse rate.  I was riding in 2nd position, right behind Paul.  I was trying to get up next to him and turn down the pulse rate on that pacemaker, but could only manage to hang on by my fingernails.

all photos by Dave S
 Lisa, a triathlete on a TT bike came around me.  I was now in 3rd, and could see that soon morphing into being the lanterne rouge.

Luckily, things started slowing down a little as we climbed the numerous hills in the beginning of this route. They slowed, and I was burning valuable energy.


The fall colors were out in full glory today.

As we were pedaling along in Sherwood a blue SUV (Oregon license 017 HCU) came up behind me and laid on the horn. The photo below is of the section of road we were riding on.

As you can see, there are curbs on both sides of the travel lane, and the remaining space is not wide enough for a bicycle and car to pass.  I was in the center of the lane to protect myself.  The driver took offense.  When we cleared the curb he pulled up next to me, rolled down the passenger side window, and yelled that I shouldn't be so stupid.

Well, I just smiled and rode on.  I'll take a guy yelling at me because he sees me in the lane and doesn't like it, over a guy that doesn't see me because I'm edge riding any day.

It wasn't the only ignorant person we'd interact with today.

At mile 18 we were to cross the Canby Ferry.

 
 In the last couple of years the county has instituted a $2 charge for cyclists. We did some math and figured that the full lane charge of $12 was cheaper for our group, if the operator would go for it.  We rolled onto the ferry and requested a full lane.  The operator smiled and said "$2 each please", we argued our point but it fell on deaf ears when the operator said that if we paid registration and paid for roads like other vehicles then he would go for it, but we were just bikes. The fact that Oregon law defines bicycles as vehicles didn't faze him.  You can't fix stupid.

It got even more fun.  Before the ferry could launch, 31 motorcyclists joined us.  Each of them were charged $2 as well, despite that we now had completely filled the ferry and should have been able to get the $24 full ferry fee.  Instead the operator collected $62 from the motorcyclists, and $16 from us.  A pretty good trip for the ferry.


Just before Canby, most of our gang took a side trip to go see some flowers.


Paul and I stayed the course and rode into Canby where we stopped at Thriftway, our designated meeting point.  It was a welcome rest.

The wind was beginning to make it's appearance. At Canby we turned west and the wind was a quartering cross wind. My legs were beginning to fail me.  I was having all I wanted just trying to keep up. Lisa and I fell back a bit and arrived at Hwy 219 a minute or so after the others.  From here on it was going to get fun.  We'd turn north toward Newberg, and into the wind that was now blowing 15+ mph.  Not horrendous, but certainly noticeable.

After we got through Newberg our ride leader said he was going to slow down a bit and we'd all meet in Gaston. That took some of the pressure off.  Dave, Vest, and Eric, fresh off a high mileage summer were not fazed by the loss of our leader.  I pedaled along at 15 mph with them lined up behind me.  Once they got tired of my slow pace, the passed me and were off!

As I got to the edge of Gaston I knew that the baseball field had chemical toilets and a drinking fountain.  I took advantage of both, then rode into Gaston where the others were waiting.  I ran in and bought a couple of Snickers bars. As I came out of the store a few of those that had chosen to ride shorter miles today arrived.  This was going to turn into an extended stop.  I switched into Tortoise and Hare mode, and shoved off.

I got on the aerobars and pedaled into the wind. I pedaled all the way to Kansas City (Oregon, just north of Forest Grove) and was surprised that the peloton had not yet caught me.  I made the turn and wouldn't have anymore headwind.  From here on I'd have a quartering crosswind giving just a bit of help from time to time.

As I passed Bagley Park in Hillsboro I stopped briefly to refill my water bottle, but other than that I kept the bike moving.

I kept checking my mirror, but the peloton was not to be seen.

I finished the route and was loading my bike up when the advance party arrived.  Within a few minutes the rest of the gang rolled in.  I had stayed in front of them!

I found out later that the group had short cutted the route, having tired of the headwinds.  If I had known that I would have likely done that too.  But alas..........

We finished up with BBQ and social time at Paul's.

I'm tired tonight.  My legs gave just about all they had.

.......Road bike........Rollers.......MTB.......Lifecycle....Total
Today........104...............0..............0..............0.............104
Jan..........765.............0..............0..............0.............765
Feb..........248............0..............0..............0..............248
March......183...........0...............0.............0...............183
April........228...........0...............0.............0...............228
May.........200............0..............0.............0...............200
June.........199...........0...............26...........0...............225
July..........246...........0...............0.............0...............246
August.....502...........0...............0.............0...............502
Sept..........974...........0..............44............0..............1018
Oct.............175............0...............0.............0...............175
Total........3582.........0...............70............0..............3652

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.