Monday, October 12, 2015

Staying on track

After not riding much for most of the year, I figured I'd better start riding more, or I wouldn't be able to ride at all soon.  It really is one of those "use it or lose it" deals.  In keeping with that, I went out today in search of 34 miles.  That would keep me on track for another 1000 mile month.  Actually it was three days early, but the weather was nice today, and sooner rather than later is good.

I returned to Portland's 40 Mile Loop, because I knew that at 38 miles it would be just about the right amount of mileage.

I again started at Sellwood Riverside Park and rode clockwise around the loop.  It was indeed a nice day to ride a bike.  After some morning fog the afternoon was cloudless, and 70 degrees.  The Willamette River looked nice as I pedaled along it for the first few miles.


I took the carbon bike today.  I pedaled along pretty quickly.  I was holding 18-20 mph as easily as I did 13-15 on the fixed gear bike.

I crossed between the Willamette and Columbia  Rivers via the Peninsula Trail.  As I pedaled along the Columbia River I stopped to take a picture of the Interstate Bridge (I-5) and Vancouver, WA.  There was still some remnants of the morning fog obscuring distant views.


Today's "stop and read the informational signs" moment was as I pedaled along the edge of Portland International Airport.


It seems that the Portland International Airport has some pretty cutting edge processes to deal with the chemical runoff, and they are rightly proud of it.

The residual moisture in the air from the fog made the view of Mt Hood a bit difficult, and I was using my phone's camera instead of a real camera.


Just east of the airport I turned south on the I-205 bike path.  As I crossed over Interstate 205 I once again was glad to be on a bike, enjoying the day, instead of stuck in a car that was stuck in traffic.


I continued to pedal along and made it back to Sellwood, with the expected 38 miles.  Enough to push me over 500 for the month so far.

A nice day for a bike ride!


.......Road bike........Rollers.......MTB.......Lifecycle....Total
Today.......38...............0..............0..............0.............38
Jan..........765.............0..............0..............0.............765
Feb..........248............0..............0..............0..............248
March......183...........0...............0.............0...............183
April........228...........0...............0.............0...............228
May.........200............0..............0.............0...............200
June.........199...........0...............26...........0...............225
July..........246...........0...............0.............0...............246
August.....502...........0...............0.............0...............502
Sept..........974...........0..............44............0..............1018
Oct...........504............0...............0.............0...............504
Total........3901.........0...............70............0..............3971

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.