Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Another night ride

For the second night in a row I was riding with lights on.

The weather was perfect as 5 of us pedaled out from OHSU.  Jan and I had already logged just over 4 miles with a commute in from Sellwood.

We made our way across the Tilikum Bridge and northward on the Eastbank Esplanade, then up Williams.  We were right in the heavy flow of commuters.


(having trouble with formatting tonight.   Photos #3 and #7 credit to Jan.  It is late tonight and I'll see if I can straighten out the formatting tomorrow)

Somewhere here I must have bumped some button on the camera because the next several photos had a fisheye effect.

As we pedaled along Portsmouth St, about 13 miles into tonight's ride, Sara ran over something in the road and her rear tire went flat.  For the second night in a row someone in this group had a flat!  Once again there was plenty of supervision.



The flat was fixed and we were soon back on our way.  We crossed back over I-5 and turned back south.


When we got back near Moda Center Gray said his goodbyes and peeled off toward home.  The 4 of us remaining took a tour of Portland's waterfront.  It was a very nice night.







We crossed back over the Willamette River on the Hawthorne Bridge. We puttered around at the Salmon Street Springs for a bit.

We had just a short distance to ride before stopping for some carbo replenishment.


Mike and Sara were at the end of their ride, but Jan and I had a few more miles of fun in front of us yet.  As we pedaled along the Springwater Trail I told Jan that I had seen deer the last two nights near Ross Island.  Sure enough, as we came around the curve, there was a doe and 3 fawns halfway on the trail!  I couldn't find the flash control on my camera in the dark but the deer were still there as I turned my bike around and directed the headlight in their direction.  The photo didn't really turn out, but if you squint your eyes while standing on one foot and swirling a rabbit's foot around your head, you can make out a deer. They are after all masters of hiding.


When we got back to Sellwood, Jan and I commented on how nice the weather was.  I suggested bonus miles, she suggested that it was time to go home!   She loaded her bike, I pedaled mine!  I rode out the Springwater Trail until I got to Cartlandia, then turned around and came back.  It was a perfect night for a ride, but it was late.

.......Road bike........Rollers.......MTB.......Lifecycle....Total
Today.......39...............0..............0..............0.............39
Jan..........765.............0..............0..............0.............765
Feb..........248............0..............0..............0..............248
March......183...........0...............0.............0...............183
April........228...........0...............0.............0...............228
May.........200............0..............0.............0...............200
June.........199...........0...............26...........0...............225
July..........246...........0...............0.............0...............246
August.....502...........0...............0.............0...............502
Sept..........974...........0..............44............0..............1018
Oct...........870............0...............0.............0...............870
Total........4267.........0...............70............0..............4337

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.