Friday, September 18, 2015

An alternate Lake Washington Loop

I planned to ride around Lake Washington today.  Cascade Bicycle Club had a ride around the lake posted, but it started quite a distance from where I am staying, and they had 4 stops planned.  Stops on group rides turn into time draining affairs.  I decided to go on my own ride.  I've pedaled around Lake Washington several times, but always with local folks.  I wouldn't know the way on the far north and south of the route. The route is not marked well so I searched RidewithGPS for it.  I found a route and after a cursory review of it, I loaded it to my Garmin 305.

I took off about 11:15 AM.

I rode clockwise, which put me in Kenmore right at noon, just in time for a filet-o-fish sandwich!

As I left McD's I was on autopilot, and did not notice that I was off my preloaded course.  After about a half mile I caught my error and pedaled back.  I had never biked this route before. I crossed the Sammamish River.


 Shortly after crossing the river there was a 6% climb that lasted about 1.5 miles


I pedaled by Saint Edward State Park and Big Finn Hill Park. I noted that the Discover Pass that I purchased for my recent Iron Horse Trail trip is also good at Saint Edward State Park, I guess I'll have to go back and check it out!

As I came around Juanita Bay I got on roads that I recognized.

I continued south along the east shore of Lake Washington through Kirkland and Bellvue to Renton.
At Renton I turned north and followed the west shore of Lake Washington.  Despite it being autumn, it looked almost springlike as I made my way along Lake Washington Blvd.

 
 I got to the I-90 floating bridge.



Once there, I again left the familiar route and the shoreline.  As luck would have it, by doing so, at mile 52 of today's ride I passed right by Franz Bakery!  I stopped in and got some raisin oatmeal cookies.

I went over First Hill and Capital Hill, though I really couldn't tell where one ended and the other began.

Before long I began seeing signs for University Bridge and I knew that my ride around the lake was just about finished.

I crossed the University Bridge and jumped on the Burke-Gilman Trail and turned toward Fremont.  I crossed the Fremont Bridge and rode up the Kralik Way to the top of Queen Anne.

I nice 62 mile ride today, comfortable temperatures, little wind, no rain. It was fun to take an alternate route and see some new scenery.



.......Road bike........Rollers.......MTB.......Lifecycle....Total
Today........63...............0..............43..............0..............63
Jan..........765.............0..............0..............0.............765
Feb..........248............0..............0..............0..............248
March......183...........0...............0.............0...............183
April........228...........0...............0.............0...............228
May.........200............0..............0.............0...............200
June.........199...........0...............26...........0...............225
July..........246...........0...............0.............0...............246
August.....502...........0...............0.............0...............502
Sept..........470...........0..............43............0...............513
Total........3041.........0...............69............0..............3110

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.