Saturday, February 22, 2014

Ready to Ride

A group of Cascade Bicycle Club folks have put together a series called  "Ready to Ride".  Today was Ready to Ride 3.  They planned to ride 25 miles beginning at 11AM.  That was a perfect excuse to ride to the ride.

They planned a flat ride, so I took the fixie.  I had to get down Queen Ann on the way out, and back up Queen Ann on the way back.  Other than that it would be an easy pedal.

I was brave and rode down 3rd Ave N.  I had to touch the brakes twice in the 3/4 mile of 15ish % to keep the bike from running away from me.  I got on the Ship Canal trail then turned into the wind as I got on the Elliot Bay trail.  The wind in my face continued as I rode Marginal Way toward the West Seattle Bridge.  It was raining nonstop during this ride to the ride.  I didn't want to stop to check the time so I kept pedaling.  I arrived at Jack Block Park, our starting point, a half hour before roll out time.  Not bad at all.

The ride finally put pedals down at 11:20.  I was anxious to get moving, I was beginning to get cold.   There were about 35 of us, and we broke into several smaller groups.  I was in the faster group, just hoping I could hold on.  As it ended up, there was no problem keeping up.  The pace was about 14 mph.

A recumbent rider got a flat about 7 miles in.  I stopped with him to help, or at least provide moral support.
His bike has a small front tire and he did not carry a spare tube.  We set about patching the tube. The process was a bit slower than I expected but we did get back on the road after about 15-20 minutes  I thought I'd have problems keeping up with a 'bent but he seemed in no real hurry to try to catch up to the others.

As we neared our turn around point we caught the slowest group.  They were only moving 10-12 so I made my way around them and pedaled on.  I thought the recumbent would also come around, but he didn't.  I knew the basic route, but not the exact route.  I had planned on just staying with the group.  Suddenly I found myself between the slow group and the faster group.  Me bad.

When I got to Bicentennial Park I had not yet caught the faster riders so I stopped to let the slower folks catch up. While waiting I took out the smartphone and Googled "Fort Dent Park", since I had heard that was our turn around destination.  I had overshot it by 1.1 miles, at least the rain had stopped.  I rode back to the park and looked around for the others.  It is a large park and I did not see the others.  I texted to let Julie know I hadn't found them and was riding back to Jack Block Park. I did not know that she didn't have her phone with her.

There was a bit of a tail wind and I made good time.  I came back along the Duwamish Waterway and stopped for a photo.


I caught up to the slower group a mile or so from the West Seattle Bridge.  The sweep rider told me the others were about 5 minutes ahead.  I rode with the group for awhile, but finally picked the speed back up and pedaled toward Jack Block Park.  I pulled into the park, but the faster group had already left.  I turned around and pedaled back towards Queen Ann.  I met the slower group as they neared Jack Block Park.  I thanked the leaders for the ride and kept on going.

As I rode up the ramps of the West Seattle Bridge I felt a squishy rear tire.  It was slow leak and I only had a few miles left to ride, so I just added air and rode fast.  I made it to the Ferry Terminal and added air again.  I headed up the hill.  It was way steeped than I can pedal up, so I walked the bike up 4 blocks, then hopped back on.

This was the second flat that I've had on the fixie.  I think I'll add some sealant to both tires.  The last thing I want on STP is a flat tire.

It was a good ride.  After starting off in rain, most of the "official" ride was dry, and all the return ride back to Queen Ann was dry.

Tomorrow is Chilly Hilly.  It promises to live up to its name!



 ............road bike..........rollers........mtb.........lifecycle....total
Today..........50................0..............0...............0............50 Jan.............710................0..............0...............0...........710
Feb........... 465...............0..............0...............0............465 Total..........1175...............0..............0...............0...........1175

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.