Monday, February 18, 2013

A solo ride

There was a plan to join my friend, as she joined her friends, on a ride around Lake Sammamish.  We chose to ride to the ride. As is often the case, my friend wasn't feeling it, or as she said, "I lost my mojo".  We were to meet three of her friends at Marymoor Park, about a 30 mile commute for us.  Before we even started out 1 had decided not to go....  there was a 40% chance of rain.

As we pedaled along the Burke-Gilman and Sammamish River Trail I heard enough excuses that I knew we weren't going to join the others.  We arrived at Marymoor Park in plenty of time, but missed connections with the others.  We did meet them going the other way as we pedaled out of the park.  Neither they, nor we, stopped.  Amazing to me, but I don't get involved in the girl politics.

My friend and I were following a route that we had mapped to my gps this morning, one that we had ridden, more or less, a few weeks ago.

The hills were causing troubles for my friend.  As we reached about 41 miles into the ride the gps indicated a hard right turn onto the I-90 trail.  My friend look at me, scowled, and continued on.

I can take a hint.

I followed the gps map.

I started up a steep switchback section heading towards Newport Way.  I waited on this short section for 15 minutes in case my partner was deciding to follow. I did after all have her phone, her money, her pump, her lights, and evidently her mojo.  I used my stopped time to take a photo. 
  I didn't know the area well enough to know where she might have pedaled, so I couldn't try to chase her down.  All I knew was the course that was on the gps.

   I figured that I'd get back to my pickup, drop off her phone and a note saying I had my phone with me and was backtracking the course trying to find her. I knew I could do nothing until I got back, so I turned the power on and rode hard holding an 18-22 mph.

Drat, after passing through UW I come upon my friend, pedaling her normal 12 mph.  She just smiles instead of telling me how she got ahead of me.  I'm guessing quite a few less miles, or public transportation.....though she had no cash.

No matter, I pedaled up the hill and finished the ride.  We were both starved, so a quick dash to the local pub for some food followed.

The map is of the main route, not including the ride down and back up Queen Anne, nor the return on the Sammamish River Trail.



Oh, and that 40% chance of rain?  I got a few random drops in the last 7 miles, never enough to make the road wet.
  ...........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total Today.............83..............0.............0..........0..............83 Jan..................93..............0..............0.........0.............93 Feb................285..............0..............0.........0............285 Total..............378.............0..............0.........0.............378

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.