Saturday, June 14, 2008

A lot of sun and more wind than necessary!


Dave, Laura, and I rode the Strawberry Century today. Dave and Laura got down to Lebanon before I did so they got a bit of a jump on me. After a little detour through SW Portland I managed to get on the bike about 8:20AM. The wind was blowing about 20 mph out of the North so the first 10-15 miles was into the wind. Last year this ride took place in a downpour so I won't complain too hard about headwind. I felt strong today but was very surprised to catch up with Dave and Laura at the first rest stop near the first covered bridge of the day. They had about a 20 minute head start so I was surprised to catch them at the 25 mile mark. We snacked and filled water bottles then went on our way.



As we got on the pedals it became obvious that I was a bit faster than Dave and Laura today. I thought for a moment, but then rationalized that I needed the workout and they wouldn't get lost. In good Lewis and Clark fashion, I proceeded on. I had nearly a 19 mph average to the first rest stop. The next stretch took us up to Foster Reservoir.





There was a rest stop at the head of the lake. Dave and Laura and I were leaving each other voice mails on the cell phones so I knew I was about 20 minutes ahead of them at that point. I had a few slices of watermellon, a few small pbj sandwiches, a few cookies, a blueberry "fig" bar, filled my water bottles, and pedaled on. Here's a video shot as I left the rest stop. There is a short out and back route to get there so the oncoming riders seen are on their way to the rest stop.



There were several other rest stops but I didn't delay. I stopped, stretched, drank some water, took a shot of Gu all without leaving the bike, then pedaled on. Probably no more than a minute stopped at each. In Brownsville I stopped at a rest stop for a little longer, visited with a former co-worker who I stumbled across, and chowed down. Dave and Laura were about 45 minutes behind me. I had a strong 18 mph average to that point.

Once we got out of the hills and out in the farm ground we were at the mercy of the wind. Once across the freeway we had another 10+ miles of wind right in our faces. With 85 miles under our belts it was brutal riding. My speed dropped considerably. Part of it was knowing that I was going to be waiting at the finish anyway, part was knowing I only had a relatively short ways to go, and part of it was just plain being tired!

I pulled into the finish with a 16.6 mph average....and a 90 minute wait for my partners. I used that time to change out of bike clothes and enjoy a well earned strawberry shortcake with ice cream! I'm telling you now that it was much more appreciated today with the 70 degree temp, sunny skies and headwind effort than it was last year with the deluge we rode through. ;-)



It was a good ride today, harder than necessary because of the wind, but good none the less.

A friend is suggesting we ride 60+ tomorrow so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles Today
...101............0.........101
Jan total.......98.....+........402....=..........500
Feb total.....385.....+.......220....=...........605
Mar total.....659.....+........41.....=...........700
April total...629.....+........57.....=...........676
YTD...........2749....+.......743....=.........3492 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.