Sunday, July 14, 2013

STP +1

As I do many years, I followed a one day STP with a second day on the route riding with the two day riders. I just can't get enough STP!

I got an early start from Portland and back tracked the route to Longview.


I saw my first STP rider heading toward Portland just after 7AM. That turned into a steady stream of riders by 9AM. I was riding against a pretty stiff wind and holding a 14-15 mph pace most of the time. I was glad when I got to the Longview Bridge and was able to turn around putting that wind to my back.

As I was pedaling along my phone sounded a text message. I pulled off and found that friend Julie was in Lexington. I decided I would wait at St Helens and ride in with her. I calculated with the tail wind she would arrive in St Helens about noon. While waiting there for her I couldn't help but notice the difference between 1 day riders and two day riders. At one point from where I was sitting I could see three bikes laid down on the derailleur side, a no-no if you care for your ride.


At 12:04 she pedaled in. She is very social by nature and would have been happy flitting around the crowd there for hours. Instead I stepped into crew chief mode, got her fed, watered, and back on the bike in 30 minutes, with orders to pedal to Portland. ;-)

She was in her ride ref jersey, I had retired mine the day before. We came across a guy with his second flat within 4 miles, and not a whole lot of skill in how to deal with it. I sent Julie on her way, and I stayed and got the guy back up and running. I now had my work cut out for me. It had probably taken nearly 15 minutes to deal with the flat. It was all time I was going to have to make up.

I pedaled hard. I kept the bike moving 25-27 mph, accompanied by a steady stream of "on your left" and a ringing bell. I eventually caught back up with her.

We got to Linton and she said she was losing her MoJo. I helped her find it back with a rice krispie treat and a nice cold drink of water from the water fountain along the highway.

The last few miles in Portland were a struggle for her, and it took some cajoling from me, but she made it.


She beat her friends in, and set a new PR in the process.

I picked up my "finisher" medallion.


I then spent some time around the finish line festival. It is always moving to see some of the finishers, coming in with tears in their eyes, and overcoming many obstacles to cross that finish line.




...............road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle........total
Today...............101...........0..............0..........0............101 Jan..................93..............0...............0.........0..............93 Feb................411..............0..............0.........0............411 March.............653.............0..............0.........0............653 April..............696..............0...............0.........0............696 May...............900...............0...............0.........0.............900
June..............484...............0..............0..........0...........484
July...............717................0...............0..........0..............717 Total...........3710.............0...............0..........0.............3710

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.