Thursday, July 25, 2013

Riding Around Mt Rainier

Bike? check
Garmin charged and route loaded?  check
Helmet? check
Headlight charged? check
Suitable bike clothes? check
Bike shoes? ....bike shoes?...shoes?  oops!

I was still busy with putting Race Across Oregon supplies away when it was time to load up and head north for RAMROD (Ride Around Mt Ranier in One Day).  I quickly packed up and took off.

I arrived at Enumclaw High School, the start location of RAMROD, just after 5 AM.  I filled my water bottles, attached my rider number, attached my helmet RFID tag, and was just about to hop on the bike when I realized I didn't have my bike shoes on.  At the same time I got a sinking feeling, I didn't remember bringing them. After going back to my pickup and checking, sure enough, the bike shoes were in a different state.

We've all pedaled a block or two without bike shoes, me included.  I just wasn't sure I could ride 150+ miles with long hills and fast descents without being clipped in.  There was one way to find out.

I finally got on the road at 6:20 AM.


The first few miles were gently descending and I managed to cope.  My feet floated around on the pedals a bit and I had to work at keeping them in the proper location. My athletic shoes have a soft sole and I was aware of the pedal's cleat pressing against my foot.  This was going to be interesting.


I stopped in Elbe and scored a chocolate milk right across from some brightly colored cabooses that are being used as a sort of motel.


 The climb up the mountain was mostly just a gently ascending pedal following the Nisqually river, no serious effort required. I had a late start after spending too much time thinking about bike shoes and now there was a steady stream of cyclists passing me. I literally did not pass a single cyclist in the first 30 miles.

As I pulled into the first food stop I realized just how far back in the field I was.  The volunteers and support staff were talking about the location of the last rider (and the sweep who was keeping track of him)  The volunteers were folding up tables and re-boxing supplies.......... not closing up they assured me, just "consolidating".  I hopped on the bike with the plan to begin working my way through the field.

It was a gorgeous day.

Nisqually River







So, Christine may be clumsy, but do we  really need to make facilities to watch her?




 I reached the top of the first climb. Now I was going to get to see if I could keep my feet from bouncing off the pedals on rough descents.



Refection Lake

 The road was a bit rough and it was a bit tough keeping the feet centered on the pedals. Once at the bottom, the route climbed again. I passed a few cyclists on the road, but made up my best time by limiting my time at the food stops.
 The ride organizers reminded us that the speed limit in Mt Rainier National Park was 35 mph and following a death during last year's RAMROD, the speed limit would be enforced by Park staff. Last year I rolled down Box Canyon at nearly 50 mph on the aerobars.  Today, I sat tall and caught the full headwind.  I maintained a 30-35 mph speed all the way down. This descent was smooth.

By the time we started climbing Cayuse Pass we were nearly 100 miles into the ride.  I began picking riders off one by one on the 9 mile climb. Unlike the first 30 miles where I passed nobody, now nobody was passing me.  I pedaled strongly up the pass.

We started waaaay down there!
As I crested the summit I saw The Motley Crew.(Dave, Diana, Eric, Doak, Paul, Max, et al)  They had started off this morning at least 45 minutes before I did, and I did not expect to see them on the road today. Just as at STP, their time at the stops was killing them.

I checked in and rolled out without stopping.  The run down to the Deli Stop (mile 118) was fun. There were a few pavement defects to keep an eye out for, and mottled shade and sun made them difficult to see, but the roll down was uneventful, and since we were no longer in the National Park, no pesky 35 mph speed limit. ;-)

I stopped at the Deli Stop and had a turkey sandwich. I also ran into friends Lynn Kuhlman and Lee Ann Derror who were volunteering there. It was nice to see both of them.

I got back on the bike and started down the hill.  There was a headwind, but the gently descending terrain was just made for pedaling.  I was moving along in the mid 20's and passing everyone in sight.  At one point I had a guy hook on for a draft.  After about 5 miles of pulling him along I thought it might be time for him to take a pull.  He declined, saying he wasn't strong enough.

After another mile or so I saw my chance as I came to a fire station.  Being a fire guy I figured I could always "just stop to talk shop". Just before pulling in I hit some rough pavement and me feet bounced off the pedals. It took a few pedal revolutions to get back on them.  I turned in to the parking lot and be darned if the guy didn't pull in with me!   His comment? "Dude, tennis shoes on clip pedals? You are sooo badazz!" After a few minutes I got back on the road and pedaled.  I brought the bike up to nearly 30 mph, slowed it to 12, no difference, this guy was going to stay on my wheel.  I just soft pedaled for a long distance thinking this guy would eventually get bored and take off on his own.  Finally another rider came around us and my "new found friend" stood on his pedals and latched onto this guy instead.

I pedaled the last few miles back into Enumclaw. I kept passing riders as I made my way down the road.  I was ready for the ride to conclude,  My feet were tired and the effort to keep the feet on the pedals was beginning to make itself known.

I pulled into Enumclaw High School, got my RAMROD patch, a fudgesicle and a ride photo.

It was a good day.




...............road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle........total
Today...............153...........0..............0..........0............153 Jan..................93..............0...............0.........0..............93 Feb................411..............0..............0.........0............411 March.............653.............0..............0.........0............653 April..............696..............0...............0.........0............696 May...............900...............0...............0.........0.............900
June..............484...............0..............0..........0...........484
July..............1185................0...............0..........0.............1185 Total...........4178.............0...............0..........0.............4178

2 comments:

  1. glad you had a great ride- despite no bike shoes! badazz indeed! :)
    Looks like it was a gorgeous day.

    Re: "...the time at the stops was killing them..." I suppose it depends on the goal. They were riding, not racing. Different perspectives/approaches, and I doubt they'd say the rest stops killed them. :) At STP, they stopped for hours to picnic, shower, visit, etc... enjoying the journey along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last weekend I was racing, no time for photos. Today I took time to take photos and enjoyed the ride.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.