Saturday, July 16, 2011

Looking for a good social ride

After several years of riding the majority of my bike miles solo it amazes me just how much I really look forward to company now.

I was scheduled to lead a trip on the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway from Champoeg (except I was starting in Wilsonville) to Eugene. It's about a 150 mile ride. The plan was to stay overnight in Eugene then ride back northward on Sunday.
I did this ride last year and had two others join me. This year I only had one decide to join in the fun.... and last week he was involved in a biking incident while riding STP that left him with a broken collarbone.

After a week of good weather I woke up to light rain this morning, along with a brisk wind that would be in my face for the entire trip. I'm not training for anything this year. I ride for fun. With no company to join me it was already not as much fun as I would have liked. The rain took away a bit more of the fun. The headwind a bit more yet. I vacillated.

What finally got me on the bike was that next weekend I am officiating at the Race Across Oregon and won't be able to ride. If I am to have a chance of getting 1000 miles this month I need to get some miles in this weekend.

I took the rain bike off the hook and geared up.

I started southward with my booties and raincoat on, but the rain pants stayed in the backpack. There were some light showers from time to time but luckily no serious rain. More of an issue was the ~15mph headwind. I pedaled easily but was only making about 14 mph. I got down to Keizer and decided that there was more fun to be had by making a change of plan and direction.

I had a great ride a few weeks ago up into the Santiam Canyon so since that would involve mostly a crosswind I decided to morph my Willamette Valley flat ride into a Santiam Canyon hillier ride.

I had my camera with me, unfortunately I did not have the SD card. I had room for two photos on the internal memory. I used the space to take two photos of a field of flowers being grown for seed. This one turned out the best. I'm thinking these might be Cosmos?


As I neared Silverton I joined the Cycle Oregon Weekend crowd for a few miles. I last saw them in my mirror as I made my way up Victor Point Rd at a bit faster rate than they could match. ;-)

I wasn't working too hard today (except on Victor Point Rd!) and stopped often for treats. Chocolate milkshakes and banana splits were in serious jeopardy today. ;-)

I made it to Detroit Lake then turned around. The return trip was a lot more down hill than up and there was a bit of a wind helping me along besides. The weather had also improved a bit. The roads were dry and it was warmer, not that it was ever cold today.

I stopped and took off my rain coat, my booties, and my arm warmers. As I made my way north the wind dissipated a bit, but there was still enough to help.

I arrived back home well before dark with more than enough energy in reserve to allow me to be making plans for another long ride tomorrow. I'm thinking maybe Multnomah Falls and back from Wilsonville. A "no car" weekend! :-)

........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today.......176..............0.............0..........0........176
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........530..............0.............0..........0.........530
March.......502..............0.............0..........0.........502
April.......524..............0.............0..........0.........524
May........1003..............0.............0..........0........1003
June.......1016..............0............10..........0........1026
July........747..............0.............0..........0.........747
YTD........4800..............0............37..........7........4843

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a grand trip! You should consider riding out to Mac sometime to do a short 25 mile loop with me! I know I will be struggling to keep up with you, but having a strong male rider to chase is always fun. We have awesome chocolate shakes and banana splits at Alf's too! ;) Great pic of the Cosmos, by the way! On yesterdays ride from Canby to Mt Angel, the peas there were being harvested. Peas were popping under my tires releasing their fresh scent. Mmmmmm! I love riding during the harvest. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.