Sunday, July 10, 2011

STP recovery ride

.The Vancouver Bicycle Club hosts The Ride Around Clark County (RACC) every year. One of the female members hosts a ride the following day that starts with french toast billed as the "RACC Recovery Ride".

Well, I wasn't having french toast but I was going for an easier ride today.

I started at the STP finish line at 8AM and rode the 50 miles back to Longview then turned around and followed the two day STPers on their ride back to Portland. I've done this a few times now and it's always entertaining.

I started off with a little different route out of Portland, owing mostly to one way street issues. It did put me past Peninsula Park, very pretty.


Before riding over the St John's Bridge I took a little detour to take advantage of the morning light on the bridge.

There wasn't much traffic on the bridge this time of day so I took advantage of being able to take the center of the span as I rode over.


There was a bit of a headwind, but not bad this early in the morning. I began to see oncoming cyclists by 8:30AM. With my little detour for the bridge photo op I didn't have to go all the way to Longview and was able to turn around just a bit before that rough Longview Bridge and still get my hoped for 100 miles in.
I ate a snack from my pack and turned around to join the mass of two day riders.

I stopped at the St Helens food stop and had a slice of watermellon and refilled my water bottles. From there on it was on the pedals with a favorable trailing wind helping to push me along.

Soon I was back in Portland crossing the STP finish line for the second time in less than 24 hours.

and added a little "bling" to my collection.

I spent the next 6 1/2 hours at the finish line festival just enjoying the bikeness off it all. Everybody finishing was a winner. Many of the two day riders, though slower, showed more perseverance and courage than we 1 day riders who often don't have to work too hard at this.

This little gal, probably about 6 or 7 came in on a trail-a-bike. Her dad was on the front. They came in with another dad/daughter team. At the finish line a whole gaggle of little girls ran up and began chattering to their friends who had just ridden 204 miles in two days. I didn't hear what they said, but I did hear this little athlete's response...... "ya, but my butt hurts". I imagine it did!


I spent the next several hours just soaking it all in, listened to those that obviously had a story to tell, talked to those that just wanted to visit about bikes.
I saw Lauren, my 2010 RAO partner finish, saw a lot of friends finish. I thoroughly enjoyed the day, finally leaving about dark........and seeing those with even more of a story to tell still pedaling in with blinkies flashing!

A great day on the bike, a great STP weekend!

........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today.......100..............0.............0..........0........100
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........530..............0.............0..........0.........530
March.......502..............0.............0..........0.........502
April.......524..............0.............0..........0.........524
May........1003..............0.............0..........0........1003
June.......1016..............0............10..........0........1026
July........555..............0.............0..........0.........555
YTD........4608..............0............37..........7........4651

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.