Saturday, January 22, 2011

bike riders

I rode with Portland Velo today. Our social bike group may have more members, by over double, but Portland Velo members actually ride bike. ;-) Whereas our BOB group today had 7 riders, Portland Velo had over 150 riders.


The sun was out in full force, an absolutely gorgeous January day. We made 41 mile loop from Hillsboro out around North Plains then to Forest Grove before making our way back to Hillsboro. With a group this large the organizers split us into smaller groups based on pace. I choose the 16-18mph group. I should have picked the 18-20mph group instead. Despite not riding much this month I still have pretty decent power in my legs and that was evident today as I just pedaled away from my group on the little "hills" along our route. We'd regroup on hilltops. Toward the end of the miles some folks really dropped off. My 16-18mph group was down to 14 coming back along Evergreen. I finally got the go ahead to pedal on through. I did.

It was nice to see that many cyclists today. Well, not all agreed. There was a neandrathal driving a pickup near North Plains who stopped to talk to me. (why do I attract these yahoos??) He told me that he just wanted me to know that he didn't appreciate us clogging up HIS road. I smiled, told him to have a nice day......and after he drove away out of hearing range, added "A$$hole"

Other than that it was a good day...and even this incident wasn't too bad...we grossly outnumbered and out muscled the guy.

I can't hardly believe I few miles I've logged this month. I guess that's what a lack of cycling goals will do. I don't recall ever riding so few miles. I will add a bit to it tomorrow, leading a group of 7 on a 100 mile ride. The weather is predicted to be a repeat of today's perfect weather.


..........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........41..............0.............0..........0..........41
Jan.........176..............0............21..........7.........204

Year to date ...................................................204

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.