Thursday, January 28, 2010

homework was never this good!

I lead a "Training Series" for my social bike group. It's designed for those that want to ride longer distances such a centuries and double centuries by summer. Most at this time of the year struggle a bit with 20 miles and just roll their eyes when I say that in just a few months they'll be riding 75-80 miles with ease.

They also thought I was kidding them when I said that in addition to our weekend rides I was assigning "homework". I assured them that I was not! I expect them to ride 1/2-3/4 of our weekend mileage as a midweek workout. One of the participants put together a "homework" ride tonight and invited the rest of us along. :-)

I'm all about riding more miles so I showed up tonight as well! We rode a good route for evening riding. We rode two circuits of Evergreen Parkway. Evergreen, for those not familiar with the Hillsboro area, is a two lane each way, wide shouldered, well lit, and after evening commuters are home sparsely traveled, stretch of buttery smooth pavement.

Two laps of Evergreen Parkway from Cornelius Pass Rd to Glencoe Rd and back gave us 20 miles. It was perfect weather for a January evening. Over 50 degrees, light breeze, clear sky, dry roads. Ya, it was dark, but the street lights made visibility good, both for us to see, and to be seen. All showed up with good lights, and all had a good ride!

So despite memories of toiling away on arithmetic and spelling.........sometimes homework is just as much fun as a bike ride!


............BIKE............LIFECYCLE.........TOTAL
Today.......20...............0.................20
Jan........541...............0................541

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.