Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fast company

3 of us rode the Wilsonville Century route today. It actually measures 100.81 by gps. It has 4152 ft of climbing, most of that in the first 40 miles.





The weather was cold and foggy to start with. It was 33 as we pedaled off and stayed below 40 until quite late in our ride. The fog stayed with us until about 40 miles in. By the time we made the turn northward near Keizer the skies cleared and the temperature rose a bit.

Steve and Ken joined me. Both strong riders. They pushed me today...well, actually pulled me along. I did take my turns on the front but it was definitely a fast pace for me. We ended up with a 16.9 mph on bike average, and more importantly a 16.0 true (clock time) average. I also finally managed to break the 500 miles for the month barrier today.

UPDATE: this evening a Google search shows that Steve is(was?) a Cat 1/2 bike racer. No wonder I was struggling to keep up! Surprising in that most bike racers I've ridden with can smoke me for the first 50-75 miles, then the whole endurance thing kicks in. Not today, he could have left me in his dust at any time I think!

............BIKE............LIFECYCLE.........TOTAL
Today......101...............0................101
Jan........521...............0................521

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kevin, thank you for the compliment; coming from you that really means something.

    But I was just (barely) hanging on the back most of the time, Steve is incredible. It was definitely a challenging ride, but for some perverse reason I'm looking forward to more rides like that...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.