Sunday, April 26, 2009

A cookie pig

Today was Salem Bicycle Club's Monster Cookie Metric Century. For the last several years I've not been content to ride just one Monster Cookie, this flat and fast course just begs to ridden a second time around, the famous, if unofficial, Double Cookie. Given my inability to lock my vehicle until new windows are installed on Monday I chose to commute to the ride from Wilsonville. While not actually riding the course twice, I'd at least get the mileage of a double cookie.

I shoved off from North Wilsonville at 6 AM, planning on getting to Salem and the start of the Monster Cookie by 8AM. The distance was longer than I expected and there was a slight headwind after about 7AM. I missed my planned start time by over 30 minutes. I ended up with a 38 mile commute to the ride. Being a bit late worked out OK though, I was able to join a group from my social bike club that was riding today.
Our little group didn't set the course on fire, but we pedaled along pretty consistently in the sea of cyclists (and a few "people on bikes")

Kris picked up a staple in her rear tire just a few miles from the first rest stop. Almost before she could come to a stop a support vehicle pulled off with the offer of a floor pump. Kris and I got the tube replaced and aired up in record time and were back on the road. The rest of our group had pedaled on so it was catch-up time for us. We hammered along in draft mode at 20-22mph trying to close the gap. We didn't quite catch them before reaching the first rest stop at Salem Bible College.
Since this ride is all about cookies it should come as no surprise that there was a wide range of cookies at the stop along with more traditional fare. We milled around enjoying the snacks and other cyclists' company for a long time (really too long!) but finally got back on the road.
We arrived at the main stop of the day, Champoeg Park, half way into our ride as well as box lunches.

As we got back on the bikes we were heading into the slight wind that had helped push us as we rode the first half. I got on my aerobars and pedaled. I was able with some effort to hold about 18 mph. Not bad for an old guy who already had 70 miles in for the day. Knowing I had many miles to go yet I didn't tarry. I soon dropped the folks I had been riding with.

I rode onto the Capital Mall and immediately turned around and headed back to Wilsonville. As luck would have it, the wind shifted a bit and before I got back to Wilsonville I was riding into the wind.........again.

I ended up with a respectable 136 miles for the day. I was more tired than I should have been for this distance, but blame it somewhat on being too warm. I should have taken off my windbreaker by mid morning or noon at the latest. I've always noted that my performance suffers when I'm a bit too warm.

Good day, no rain. Looked like a good turnout for the Salem Bicycle Club.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today...........136...............0................136
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....860.....+.........0........=.......860
April total.....760.....+.........0........=.......760
Year to date...2770.....+.........30.......=......2800
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2 comments:

  1. Dang, I wish I'd known you were out there. I have been doing Double Cookies for a few years now - this week's was especially successful - 124 miles in a total elapsed time of 8.5 hours - solo riding with no one to block the wind for me . . .of course, I was on the non-rando "fast" bike . ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Cecil Anne, I won't tell anyone that you even own a non Rando bike.......let alone ride it sometimes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.