Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mid week

I went for my 27 mile "hill ride" in the Logie Trail area......twice.
It was dry but windy. Nothing like a good workout in late February!
After the last few days of rain and sometimes torrential downpour, it was nice to not have to climb those hills in raingear. I finished up just before noon.

After grabbing a bite to eat I called the Marion County District Attorney's Office to see if paperwork has been filed yet. It hasn't been.
I then checked email and blog comments and found that a Lieutenant affiliated with the Marion County Sheriff's Office had asked me to contact him. I did so. He wants to be sure that their office is doing everything properly. Not that my personal satisfaction is a priority, but he does want to be sure that the public's safety is being properly addressed.

He was very professional, answered my questions, and tolerated my rants! ;-)
He asked me to restate what happened for him. I did so, and he said he'd talk to the responding officer and do some other inquiries and get back to me by 5PM Saturday with the status. I am willing to give him that time. Proper outcome, not speed, is the priority.



I am happy that this situation is being looked at. It's too easy to sit here and think nothing is being done.

I owe it to fellow cyclists (as well as the casual family on bikes) to see that people like this SUV driver are not threatening their lives.

I hope that guy isn't on the same road this weekend. The plan is for a bunch of us to be re-riding my 54 mile birthday ride route Saturday morning........ a route that takes us right over the same spot. I will certainly be hearing that guy's voice in my head..."If I ever see your a$$ on this road again I will run you over".

I'll be sure to have my helmet cam along this time!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today............54...............0.................54
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......557.....+.........0........=.......557
Year to date...1058.....+.........30.......=......1088
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about a helmet cam for some time. What are you using? Can you recommend it?

    I tried the early Oregon Scientific helmet cam, but it kept shutting itself off and the resolution was poor.

    If at least one out of 20 riders had a helmet cam, do you think that Mr. Blue SUV would do what he did, knowing that his actions might be shown to the Sheriff and everyone on youtube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two.

    I have an Oregon Scientific ATC2K. It takes very good pictures, has great image stabilization. It is waterproof, but the sound is pretty much non-existant. Picks up all sorts of vibration and conducted sounds but virtually nothing through the air. I found a fix in the web that involves taking the waterproof cover off the mic. I haven't done it yet, but probably will.

    My other is a cheapo Tony Hawk helmet cam. (<$50) It's picture quality isn't as good, but sound is excellent. I use both, the OS when I want good quality video, the TH when I want the sound and an OK quality video.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.