Friday, February 20, 2009

I guess that's why this is called............

"Bike Dreams"

The days have been just glorious for riding. I haven't been out much because of those darn "life issues" getting in the way. I've been day dreaming bikes though. There is that whole issue of planning for the upcoming Furnace Creek 508 adventure. There is also the reminiscing over last summer's Race Across Oregon where my teammates and I set a divisional course record riding as the "Old Goats 4 CycleOne" 4 man over 50 team. The team won't be reforming for a run at defending our title. I've moved on to a solo entry in the Furnace Creek 508 (as was my plan all along). J Murray has retired from racing Ultra Cycling events. (as was his plan all along) Cary hasn't announced that he'll be riding RAO. J Michael will be riding the `09 RAO as part of the Three Rivers Racing team. It might have been fun to go back as the defending champs and see what these old goats could do, but it's not to be.

I will remedying my non riding ways over the weekend as I have rides planned both days. Tonight I've got my "Bike Dreams" in full throttle. I lead a 35 mile ride for my social bike group tomorrow. 35 miles is not many miles for me so I'm going to ride to the ride (earning points from my Rando buddies in the process) The only thing left to be decided is whether to ride from home, a 35 mile ride, which would give me about 105 for the day, or whether to start from Newberg, giving me 55 for the day. I wouldn't mind the 105 miles, but there will likely be a "post social ride social" that may get me too late for comfort, as well as add 11-12 miles onto the 105. I'm not all that enthused about riding at night if I don't need to, and the trip across the Hwy 219 bridge south of Newberg is dicey even in daylight, let alone in darkness. I may just go from Newberg then do a bit of post social ride riding to bring my distance up a bit.

Sunday I am riding with a group of folks from Lake Oswego so for the weekend I should have some decent miles by the time it's all over.

Okay, time to get the bike ready to ride.

3 comments:

  1. nice to know I am not alone in my deep and abiding fondness for crossing that Hwy 219 bridge. Day or night; doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been eyeing what looks like a bridge across the Willamette that can be seen from Champoeg Rd just as it makes the turn onto Riverside Rd.
    If it indeed is a bridge, and open to the public that could very well be a safer way to get from Newberg to Champoeg Rd. I may take the time to ride out there next time I'm in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is a railroad bridge, I think... But keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.