Tuesday, September 30, 2008

shame on Jack

On my way to a meeting last evening I pulled through the Jack in the Box's drive through. The Jack in the Box is a newly opened establishment in my little town.
As I was waiting for my fix of cholesterol I noted the dining room hours posted on the window, as well as that the drive through window was open 24 hours. Then noted that they would not serve me if I was on a bike or walking "for my safety". I was invited to call 1-800-955-5225 if I had any comments.

I did so this morning. A very nice woman with a southern accent took my call. We had a very nice conversation where I explained that I may be riding my bike by early in the morning before the dining room is open and would want to swing through for breakfast or a warm drink. I asked why they discriminated against my mode of transportation.

She explained that cars might not see me and that if I got hit they'd be liable. I asked if she thought I was any safer riding on the street to get there, and that they were the only drive up window I had seen with such a notice. I noted that McDonalds was right across the road and did not have such a notice.

She tried to play into my sympathies and said "shame on McDonalds for not caring about cyclists". I responded "shame on Jack in the Box for not welcoming and accommodating cyclists. I would think the addition of a light to illuminate the window area would absolve them of any claim that the area wasn't safe for cyclists.

You might want to call that number if you also share these concerns.

In the meantime, I'll go through McDonald's drive through, whether in my car or on my bike. I think they understand me better. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.