Friday, April 11, 2008

A good day for a bike ride!

Ah, what a day for a bike ride. 71 degrees, light breeze, nuttin' but blue! I began at McMenamin's Rock Creek Tavern on Old Cornelius Pass Road, not so much that it's a good place to start but rather it's a GREAT place to finish! ;-)

I went up Old Cornelius Pass Road to Skyline and followed Skyline to Cornell where I took a right (following the DeRonde van Oeste Portlandia route) and descended to Miller where I took a left, then another left on Brynwood. Yup, it was just as steep today as last weekend, but the weather was nicer today!

My back tire slipped a few times, but not near as often as last weekend when the road was wet. Today it was when I'd hit a bit of small gravel or sand type stuff. The problem today was that my front wheel picked up. As you'd expect, it was when I was really putting some power on. As the wheel came up (of course not going very fast) I was standing and giving it some pretty good effort. The handlebar turned because of my pulling on it to get leverage. When it came back on the ground......pointed sideways.... I went on the ground too. A little road rash to show for it, but I'll survive.

Once I hit Skyline again I took leave of the DeRonde route and made a right on Skyline following it toward the Sunset Highway. Skyline earns it's name as the views were stupendous.


It is also a popular location for broadcast towers.


When I came to the Sylvan interchange of the Sunset Hwy I crossed over to Hewett. As usual, I ended up at Council Crest.


Today, after making the loop on Council Crest I continued on Council Crest Drive until I came to the KGON tower.

Since the road ended there I decided it was as good excuse to begin my way back as any. I dropped down on the Portland side and followed that road for a ways before taking a left and climbing up a pretty decent hill to get back to Council Crest Drive. From there I pretty much retraced my route back to Rock Creek Tavern.....but did not abuse my brake pads and rims by descending Brynwood! ;-)

Along the way I stopped at the Willamette Stone.


It was a good ride today, a nice warm up for Sunday's 100 mile Daffodil Classic.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today...........40...............0
Jan total.......98.....+........402....=..........500
Feb total.....385.....+.......220....=...........605
Mar total.....659.....+........41.....=...........700
YTD...........1280....+.......720....=.........2000

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.