Monday, May 2, 2016

A Century

Well, a metric century.

Today I took off from Gasworks Park with a soft plan to either ride around Lake Washington or continue on the Sammamish River Trail out past Marymoor Park.  Around Lake Washington would put me on streets for just over half of the +/- 55 mile route.  Marymoor would put me on smoother trail and no traffic.  The potential for more miles was also there as it would be an out and back.

The Burke-Gilman Trail is Seattle's pride and joy, but it is rough to ride. Root ridges and poor repairs make it a pounding ride.  Once I got to the end of that (15 miles) I got on the Sammamish River Trail. The sun was out and it was a great ride along the river.






When I got to Redmond the trail began to fork.  Not knowing the area, I just guessed and took the Bear Creek Trail, thinking that might bring me along the eastern side of Lake Sammamish. Instead I found myself heading northerly. Soon the trail ended and I was on roads. I began seeing directional signs for Union Hill and Novelty Hill.  I remembered riding those hills in rides a few years ago.  I knew that they were not along Lake Sammamish.  No problem, the road had wide shoulders with bike markings.  I continued out on Avondale Rd until I reached the 31 mile mark......and the road began climbing.  I turned around.

As I got to Redmond I stopped at Dudley Carter Park to check out a replica of a Haida Longhouse. There was a small totem pole at the front integral to the longhouse.



As I rode along the Sammamish River there was a Great Blue Heron looking for lunch.


From here on I kept the bike moving, as I had afternoon plans and wanted to be back in Queen Ann no later than 2PM.  It's easy to keep up the pace when the scenery is nice.  ;-)


The only delay of game was at the University of Washington, where they have a had a trail detour taking us through campus for several years now.


It was a good ride.  I got back to Queen Ann at 1:30PM :-)


.........Road Bike.....Rollers.............MTB..........Lifecycle......Total
Today ........62................0...................0.......................0...........62
Jan...............0................0...............,...0.......................0............0
Feb..........124...............0...................0.......................0...........124
March......277................0..................0........................0..........277
April......559................0..................0........................0..........559
May..........92...............0..................0.......................0............92
YTD...... 1052...............0...................0.......................0..........1052

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.