Saturday, May 31, 2014

McKenzie Pass

I've been busy working on Race Across the West and Race Across America navigation aids, and couldn't justify taking time to ride. It showed today as I rode McKenzie Pass.

I've done this route many times over the last several years. Today Ken and Dave joined me. In Wilsonville we loaded our bikes into Ken's minivan for the trip south.


As we took an early morning drive down I-5 toward McKenzie Bridge I looked at my riding partners and knew I was in for a world of hurt. In years past I could certainly keep up with these guys, and sometimes even drop them off the back. That was then, and this was now. With my lack of serious riding the last few months I knew I'd be lucky if I could keep up.

We arrived at the McKenzie Ranger Station and unloaded our bikes.


They have installed a new sign and it showed the temperature to be remarkably warm. It also showed that we were pretty close to our planned 9AM start.


As my partners were making final adjustments I took the opportunity to visit with some other cyclists there.
As it ended up, these ladies were early in a trip to West Virginia. What an adventure that would be! They weren't planning to set any speed records, but rather take time to take in the sights and smell the roses.


We wished them a good ride and took off on our own. I led my partners out as we rolled the 2 miles of relatively flat Hwy 126 toward the Hwy 242 intersection.


We turned up Hwy 242, McKenzie Pass and started climbing. Typical of an out of shape rider, I slowed markedly. The guys went around me and dropped my sorry behind.


Before long it was just me, the hill, and the sights.


The route climbs just over 4000 ft in 23 miles from the McKenzie Ranger Station to the summit of McKenzie Pass. Deadhorse Grade climbs 1200 of those feet in 4 miles.
As I switched back my way up Deadhorse Grade I could hear the voices of a group of folks below. I pulled to the side and waited with my camera out to get this shot.


I continued my way up the hill. The ground began to be covered by snow around the 4000 ft elevation mark. There is a short break to the climbing as the road goes by the Obsidian Trailhead, and Scott Lake.


The area around Scott Lake is very familiar to me. A lightning caused fire burned in the area last year and a new sign was posted at the Hand Lake Trailhead.


After the short lull in climbing, I again began pedaling uphill. I passed Camper's Lake and the 5000 ft elevation sign, coming to the marker for pioneer mailman, John Templeton Craig.


As I rounded Craig Lake and continued the climb, North and Middle Sisters came into view across the lava.


When I got to Dee Wright Observatory at the summit, the silence of the day was broken by a cacophony of bicyclist's chatter.


Dave and Ken were waiting for me there. After taking in the sights for a bit, we began the descent down to Sisters for lunch. There wasn't as much snow here as in past years. The Department of Transportation could easily open the road to cars, but I am glad that they are reserving it for bikes and pedestrians for two more weeks yet.


The descent is punctuated by a short climb to Windy Point. We stopped for a brief photo op.
Mt Washington
Mt Jefferson
We hopped back on the bikes and continued down the hill. We'd drop about 2200 ft to Sisters. With about 5 miles left to Sisters the road nearly levels out. We were still riding along at about 27 mph. There was a bit of headwind that helped temper our speed.


We arrived in Sisters and made our way to the Snow Cap, our favorite little mom and pop ice cream shop in town. I had a large chocolate milkshake.


After eating, we started back up the pass from the east side. It is a notably easier climb from this side and we were soon at the snow gate, where we ran into friends from my former social bike club. There was some banter and joking on whether they were former friends, or if it was my former social bike club. They said if their faces were pixalated they'd know. Well, I couldn't figure out pixals, but here's the photo.


But they really are all good friends.


The three of us continued back up toward the summit, the others were on their way back down to Sisters.
As the road nears the summit it travels through a lava flow. Of course, today my riding partners were far in front of me and well on there way back down the west side. I stopped for a photo.


I continued down the west side. Descending is normally one of my strong suites. I can pick a fast line with the best of them. Today I took my time. There was a bit of debris on the road, pine cones, tree needles, etc. With the mottled shade and sunshine in my eyes it was a bit difficult to see. I descended about 30-35 mph.

When I got back to Ken's van both he and Dave were already changed out of bike clothes. The temperature display now read 77 degrees.

Somebody has to be last, today there was no doubt that the person was me.

Ken had duties at home to attend to so we came straight home.

When we arrived back in Wilsonville Dave and I went to a local watering hole for post ride beverage and nutrition. It was enough extra riding with the commute to the meeting point this morning, and the ride to food and drink tonight, that it stretched the 78 mile ride to 83 miles.

A great day on the bike, a bit more suffering than there should have been, but I finished.

..........road bike..........rollers........mtb.........lifecycle....total
Today..........83...............0..............0...............0............83 Jan............710................0..............0...............0...........710
Feb........... 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ...........701.............0..............0...............0............701
April..........749.................0..............0...............0..........749
May...........613.................0..............0...............0...........613 Total..........3354...............0..............0...............0..........3354

1 comment:

  1. It's been a while since I read a post from you.. Loved it.. Great pics and I felt like I was there.. It was a great ride for me.. :) I hope someday I can do a ride like that.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.