Sunday, October 30, 2011

Woo Hoo!

I woke up this AM to the sound of rain. I had turned in the night before with a plan to ride either 100 miles in the desert if it was raining here or about 110 miles locally if it was dry. Off I went for Tygh Valley!

Good call!

I rode my Tygh Valley route in the reverse direction of normal because of gravel in the turns on the descent of Bakeoven Road. That meant whatever gravel was still there would be encountered during slow climbing. The fast descent would switch to "Lauren's Hill", the big climb we normally encounter from Shearer's Falls to Grass Valley.

There wasn't a cloud in the sky most of the day and temperatures rose to the mid 60's. Not a drop of rain! Look up the definition of High "Desert" sometime to know why I decided to drive a couple of hours today instead of riding from home. ;-)

There was a brisk wind today, perhaps 15 mph out of the south. That was an unexpected surprise. What it gave me was a good tailwind to go with the gradual downhill on the 30 mile stretch from Shaniko to Grass Valley. Downhill and tailwinds are a good thing!

I cruised it.

I made it back to Tygh Valley with 101 miles, and knowing that would leave me just a couple of miles short of 900 for the abbreviated month I rode an out and back to the fairgrounds to add just a few.

Drove back to Portland where I was greeted by rain!

Sure glad I was riding where I was today! :-)

Fellow social bike club member and friend, Kay, is celebrating her 70th birthday and helping to raise funds for aids research by riding her bike from San Francisco to Los Angeles in a few weeks. I think she said it was a 500 mile ride that she and the group will be riding in 6 days. Pretty darn ambitious for anyone, let alone a 70 year young person!

Tonight a group of us attended a costume party/dance that raised funds for the riders of that event. It was a fun evening. It's hard enough to recognize folks without their bike gear on but when they are wearing costumes beside....... ;-)






.........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today.......104..............0.............0..........0.........104
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........530..............0.............0..........0.........530
March.......502..............0.............0..........0.........502
April.......524..............0.............0..........0.........524
May........1003..............0.............0..........0........1003
June.......1016..............0............10..........0........1026
July.......1148..............0.............0..........0........1148
August.....1049..............0.............0..........0........1049
Sept.......1153..............0............50..........0........1213
Oct.........881..............0.............0.........20.........901
YTD........8256..............0............87.........27........8370

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.