Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spring showers bring flowers

Today I was in Orting Washington, in the general area of Tacoma, to ride the Daffodil Classic. The Daffodil Classic is organized by the Tacoma Wheelmen in coordination with the Orting Daffodil Festival.

I had posted it to my social bike group's calendar, but couldn't convince anyone else that they really needed to go up to Tacoma and ride in the rain. ;-) So one way to look at it is 100% of those signed up, showed up!

The forecast was for showers and light rain in the morning with heavier rain and wind in the afternoon. It was raining lightly with a moderate wind at daylight. I jumped on the course right after the 7AM opening, knowing that is was likely to get worse as the day wore on.

I was pleasantly surprised when the rain quit about 15 miles into my one hundred mile ride. With the brisk wind it didn't take long for the roads to dry out.
There were a couple of hard showers near the end of today's ride but not all that bad. The wind was more of an issue than the wet.

The route is two loops, a 40 mile and a 60 mile. A person can ride one, the other, or both. Hey, if I'm driving all the way to Tacoma I want the full meal deal!

There is also strawberry shortcake at the end and I wanted to feel like I had earned it. ;-)


..........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today.......101..............0.............0..........0.........101
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........530..............0.............0..........0.........530
March.......502..............0.............0..........0.........502
April.......300..............0.............0..........0.........300
YTD.......1816...............0............21..........7........1844

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.