Thursday, April 28, 2011

repeat of hill repeats

I returned to Rocky Butte tonight to lead the second rendition of Rocky Butte hill repeats. The plan is to do this every Tuesday and Thursday evening.

Tonight was a bit wet, and a lot cooler than Tuesday's ride. The thermometer showed 44 degrees at our 6PM start.

Traffic was horrendous, taking an hour and 40 minutes to get there when it would take about a half hour if there weren't traffic. I arrived at 10 minutes to 6, cutting a little close for being the ride leader. One of our "emerging riders" showed up with low tire pressure so I took a few minutes to pull out my floor pump and bring her tires up to pressure. By the time we got that all taken care of I was 7 minutes late in starting. In addition I had a call that I needed to take during my 2nd repeat. All tolled, the delays cost me one repeat... oh, and the fact I didn't ride as hard tonight. I ended up with 5 repeats tonight as where I had 6 repeats on Tuesday. There was more wind tonight also. Enough of a head wind on the descent that tonight's maximum speed was only 32.8 mph, a full 10 mph slower than Tuesday.

All of us had raingear on to help ward off the showers. That caused us to heat up as we climbed the hill.... and meant that we were wet by the end of the ride and would be chilling rapidly. That was enough of a thought for all of us to decide that going straight home rather than meeting for a little post ride social was probably the best plan.

It was a good evening, despite the weather.

Really looking forward to this weekend, sunny and 70 degrees is the forecast!

Average heart rate: 125 bpm
Total elevation gain: 2196 ft
average speed: 8.2 mph
calories burned: 1094

.........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........14..............0.............0..........0..........14
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........530..............0.............0..........0.........530
March.......502..............0.............0..........0.........502
April.......424..............0.............0..........0.........424
YTD.......1940...............0............21..........7........1968

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.