Sunday, February 20, 2011

February's century

Ken and I rode the northern 50 miles of the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway today. Okay, so technically we rode about 9 miles to get to the route then rode the balance of our intended 50 mile out and back on the route itself. Our turnaround point was just prior to the bridge over the Willamette River near Independence.

We chose to stay low on the valley floor to avoid issues with snow and ice that plague the hills surrounding us this week. That part worked well, the roads were dry and ice free. Ken is just coming back from a brief illness and his bike fitness is suffering a bit. He normally works me pretty hard on our rides, today he was struggling to keep the pace.

He reported a heart rate in the low 160's as I was pedaling along in the low 120's. He had thought about turning around and bagging today's ride at about our 25 mile mark today. After some thought he gutted it out and made it to our 50 mile mark and today's turn around point. We were just short of the bridge at Independence.
We had been riding into a slight headwind and now would be enjoying a tailwind....that was increasing as the day wore on.

We got back to Salem, about 65 miles into our ride, and stopped for some food. I was a bit concerned with our time. At the very end of our ride today we would have to cross the Boone Bridge on I-5. A bit scary at best, it is worse now because interchange construction has narrowed the lanes and eliminated the shoulder. I wanted to be across that bridge well before dark. I talked about riding on at my own pace and coming back with a vehicle to sag Ken in. We decided to ride and see how it went.

With the tailwind I was pedaling along at 20 mph with just under a 120 bpm heart rate. Ken was following along........ until we climbed a few small hills. He just couldn't keep the power flowing today. It's not often that I can out ride Ken, I made sure to make a mental notation of today's event! ;-)

I held up a few times, and finally, looking at the time, decided I best ride on and get across that bridge then come back to see if Ken needed a ride back in.

I pedaled well, kept up a brisk and sustainable pace.

I crossed the Boone Bridge at 4:05pm well before sunset. I rode back to my pickup than began to backtrack the route to see where Ken was and offer him any assistance he might need.

I found him within 4 miles of the end. He said he felt strong enough and confident that he could ride to the finish. I offered to transport him over the bridge and suggested that he could make up the balance of the 100 miles on the other side of the river along residential streets. He'd have none of that... he was going to finish this ride! (that's the spirit needed for this Race Across Oregon hopeful!)

I turned on the 4 way flashers and played follow car for him, providing protection for him as he pedaled along.

He did finish the 100 miles, exactly 40 minutes after I had arrived. I was a bit amazed that I had put 40 minutes on him in less than 35 miles, but that's what happens when you aren't back 100% yet. Been there.

It was good that he finished today. Centuries should not always be easy, if they are you aren't gaining a lot by riding them. He pushed hard today to overcome his issues. I am happy for him and salute his accomplishment.

My on bike average today for the combined out and back was 16.4 mph.

I rode to and from the ride today so I garnered an additional 3 miles.


..........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today.......103..............0.............0..........0.........103
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........435..............0.............0..........0.........435

YTD........919...............0............21..........7.........948

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.