Sunday, September 26, 2010

Peach of a Century

I rode Salem Bicycle Club's Peach of a Century today. I rode it easy, but during the ride it dawned on me that many set riding the Peach as their goal for the year. I salute them of course, but I was riding the Peach of a Century as tapering for the Furnace Creek 508. What's wrong with that picture?

It was supposed to be reasonably warm, but wet. Highs in the mid 70's and a 40% chance of rain. I'd say we had more rain than expected, with rain falling for most of the ride, but the temperature prediction was pretty spot on. When the rain quit (twice during the ride) the sun poked through the clouds and it warmed up quite nicely. Even during the rain it was in the upper 60's. Within a few months we'll all look back at today thinking it was like the tropics!

Dave and I rode out shortly after 8AM today, but rode back to the start to join my Furnace Creek crew chief. I needed the extra miles to reach my 1000 miles, and it would be fun to ride with John.

I was in "taper mode" and not looking to set any records today. I pedaled along easily. I did get a 15.6 mph average, not bad considering the hills today, and the fact that I wasn't hitting it too hard.

After today's ride we had a slice of peach pie courtesy of Salem Bicycle Club and then Dave, John, and I retired to a local coffee shop to talk details of next week's Furnace Creek adventure.

It was good ride today despite the rain. I ran across several members of my social bike club who also attended today.

I didn't take any photos because............ well, because it was raining and the camera was all bundled up in plastic bags and in my backpack.

............BIKE............LIFECYCLE.....ROLLERS....TOTAL
Today.......104...............0...............0..........104
Jan........618...............0................0..........618
Feb........692...............0................0..........692
March......940...............0................5..........940
April......934...............0................0..........934
May........905...............0................0..........905
June......1152...............0................0.........1152
July......1020...............0................0.........1020
Aug.......1000...............0................0.........1000
Sept......1002...............0................0.........1002
_________________________________________
TOTAL.....8280...............0..............5.........8285

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.