Saturday, September 25, 2010

A chance meeting with SIR

I am on the Oregon Coast for a meeting and I got out for a quick 21 miles this morning before having to make my attendance known. Probably stayed out on the road longer than I should have, but hey, it's gorgeous this morning and so........


In Depoe Bay I ran into a group of rando looking bikes sitting outside a cafe. Indeed, upon finding a couple of guys with bike gear coming out, I talked with them a bit. They were part of a group of Seattle International Randoneurs who were on a 1000k ride. We chatted a bit about riding distance, then played leap frog a bit at various photo opportunities as we pedaled south.






The sea lions were enjoying the morning. There were hundreds of them hauled up on the rocks near Boiler Bay, here were a few of them.


My new found Randoneur riding buddies took a lower road while I chose to climb Cape Foulweather. Just as I reached a spot where I could see the lower road I could see them pedal by. I couldn't dig the camera out quickly enough to get the photo with the bikes in it, but here's the road.










The weather was nice and the views stupendous but I soon had to turn around to be able to get cleaned up and get to my meeting.

The meeting got out late afternoon, but not so late that I didn't have an opportunity to get a few more miles. Some low cloud cover had rolled in. But the temps were comfortable. I began from Gleneden Beach and pedaled southward. Even with the clouds the ocean was very picture worthy. There was heavy surf and it made for some very interesting ocean watching. Along with the ocean watching I managed to log another 28 miles.

(thought I had software capable of rotating video.... haven't located it on my computer yet, sorry)


Tomorrow I ride Salem Bicycle Club's Peach of a Century. Looks like I'll need to find 2 extra miles so that I get my 1000 mile month in. That should be easy enough. I've been advised that I should be "tapering" for next week's little ride through the desert so I'll ride the Peach easy. ;-)

............BIKE............LIFECYCLE.....ROLLERS....TOTAL
Today........49...............0...............0...........49
Jan........618...............0................0..........618
Feb........692...............0................0..........692
March......940...............0................5..........940
April......934...............0................0..........934
May........905...............0................0..........905
June......1152...............0................0.........1152
July......1020...............0................0.........1020
Aug.......1000...............0................0.........1000
Sept.......898...............0................0..........898
_________________________________________
TOTAL.....8176...............0..............5.........8181

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.