Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Twilight Zone?

You find yourself on an exercise bike in your local gym. You think everything is normal until you find that no matter how hard you work you can't seem to make progress. You originally rationalize the situation by saying to yourself "It's a pretend bike, I'm not supposed to go anywhere!". But the fact remains that no matter how hard you pedal, you just can't make the indicators move above a moderate output. Just then you notice it, a sign post up ahead. You have entered the Twilight Zone. No adjustment of your set is necessary.

Than again maybe an adjustment is just what it needs!

Tonight I revisited the Lifecycle in my gym. This time I picked out a different machine after my experience yesterday. Same results. Level 20 is the maximum level, 372 watts is the maximum output registered, regardless whether I'm pedaling at 80 cadence or 140. So much for technology.

I guess I'll have to just self analyze.

Hmm.... I think I worked hard today!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today.............0..............20.................20
Jan total.......98.....+........402....=..........500
Feb total.....385.....+.......220....=...........605
Mar total.....659.....+........41.....=...........700
April total...629.....+........57.....=...........676
May total.....642.....+........23.....=...........665
June total....804.....+.........0.....=...........804
July total....933.....+.........0.....=...........933
August total..732.....+........23.....=...........755
Sept total....338.....+.........0.....=...........338
Oct total.....632.....+.........0.....=...........632
Nov total.....352.....+........75.....=...........427
YTD...........6347....+......1147....=.........7521
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

4 comments:

  1. Comfort is a main reason why someone chooses a recumbent exercise bike. Upright models are uncomfortable to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But how come when I am comfortably pedaling 140 cadence on level 20 the machine doesn't show any more work being done than when I'm comfortably pedaling 80 cadence?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I got out of the garage & off the trainer yesterday for a 200K ride in the Willamette Valley. Temps were 34>40 down in Mt Angel, but much colder with snow and ice everywhere in Yamhill and Carlton.

    I thought about you and wondered if you'd gotten out. Rain was forecast, but it didn't happen (as is so often the case). But it was cold ... just a few minutes off the bike and I'd get a chill.

    At the 100K mark I was wishing for that trainer!

    Keep the pedal's turnin,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. The debris at lane side is the main reason I'm not on the real bike right now. There is plenty of snow and ice to be found but there are routes ridable as you can attest to. I'm just not enthused about riding through all the gravel, broken chains, and general debris.

    Tomorrow I'm joining a few folks for a 20 miler in SW Portland. Less snow, and I'm taking the mtn bike.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.