Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Checking the calendar and checking the facts

I was looking over the upcoming bike events trying to plan my rides. I note that on Feb 15th OrBike is again putting on the Worst Day of the Year Ride. I've had some poor experiences with OrBike events in the past. One of the major problems for me is that their rides are billed as "benefit" rides for a charity but in at least one instance the amount of funds passed along to the charity were an embarrassment.

The ride registration fee is $35 with the event T-shirt being an additional charge. Hardly the least expensive ride. I don't mind that so much as long as the organizers are passing along a sizable donation to a charity I support. I've sent an email to OrBike asking for information on how much of each registration they pass along, or how much total donation they expect to make to the charity. (Community Cycling Center)

With all the charitable organization calls/bell ringing/mailings this time of year I'd remind you all to check into the operation before sending money. How much of my dollar goes to the charity, and how much goes to the cost of fund raising activities is important to me. I hope it is to you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.