Monday, December 8, 2008

Bike fix it day

After the weekend's multi flat experience I finally gave in. My Xerolite wheels have Continental Gatorskin tires and SlimeLite tubes. I never have had a flat with that combination. My Bontragger Racelite wheels have a deeper rim and since Slimelite tubes only come in short valve stems they don't work on these wheels well. My floor pump is just barely able to get a grip, my road pump can't attach at all. I've been running air only tubes without too much trouble....until Saturday when I had five flats, 6 in the last 6 weeks. Today I put Slimelight tubes in the existing Kevlar tires. I stopped by my local bike shop to get some stem extensions so I could add air if needed from my road pump. I'll let you know how it works out.

I cleaned the bike and lubed the chain. I recently bought an Adamo ISM Gel Race Saddle and had planned to put it on as well, but ran out of time for such things.
I'd really like to get another seat post and get it set up so I could swap seats quickly by just changing seat posts with a quick release tightener. Not really an issue on normal rides of 100 miles or less, but might be just the ticket on the 200+ mile one day STP, and especially something like Furnace Creek 508. Give the old tush a different contact point might mid way through a long ride could be a good thing.

No miles today..... no rain, mostly sunny, no wind, no excuses.... just lazy I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.