Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Harder Than it Should Have Been

The weather forecast says there's a good chance of snow tomorrow and Thursday.  If I was going to get one more chance to ride my birthday route, I was going to have to do it today. The wind was calm and temperature significantly above freezing in the morning as I was preparing to pedal, but the wind was predicted to build from the east through the Columbia River Gorge with dropping temperatures as the day progressed. An east wind turns into a north wind in this area as it spills out of The Gorge, and bumps against the Coast Range, then fans north and south along the valley.  Here in the northern Willamette Valley we can expect north winds in these conditions.

Today's route would start off heading mostly south for just over 25 miles.  By the time I was in about 12 miles I noted a bit of tailwind pushing me along.  I arrived at the site of Parkersville.   I mused that "location, location, location" must be tempered with "timing, timing, timing".  Here was a settlement on the shores of Lake Labish that is now little more than a historical sign post. Just beyond this sign a short distance was a pump station keeping the lake dry most of the time.  Without the pumps, this  would be a lake in winter, and probably marsh land the rest of the year. Even with  the pumps, this area is a lake during very wet periods.   However, with a dike instead of pumps, perhaps a resort might have been in the cards for Parkersville. No matter, today it was still a welcome rest spot.


I continued southward through Howell Prairie with an increasing tailwind. The clouds were still quite heavy.


I turned west on Hazel Green Rd and lost my tailwind assist.  I got to Dairy Queen as I crossed River Rd, and took the opportunity to get a banana split!


It was soon going to be time to turn into this increasing wind.  After a bit of crosswind action in the Windsor Island area, I headed straight into the wind.


I just don't have the power in my legs that I've had in the past.   It was tough work making progress against this wind. I was only able to hold about 12 mph.  Not fast, but at least I was moving. Given the chances of wet weather in the Willamette Valley in February are greater than the chances of cold weather, the wind should be out of the south.  That would give us a tailwind on the last half of the ride next weekend.  That will be good!  Hopefully just not too much rain!



.........Road Bike........Rollers.............MTB..........Lifecycle......Total
Today ........62................0....................0........................0..........62
Jan..............304...............15...................0......................31..........350

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.