Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Helping the Urban Farmer

After most of the day working on programming waypoints into a TomTom GPS I took off on my fixie to do some banking, then rode out to the nearby Community Supported Agriculture operation managed be my nephew. He's long since graduated from Wilsonville High School, but his connections there helped him snag a part time job as "Farm Manager".   I guess that's right down his alley, since he's got a degree in Environmental Science.  I helped the effort by picking some apples for the folks that are coming tomorrow to pick up their shares.  This his organic farm is quite a shock to this country boy who spent his working life around herbicides and prided himself on bug and disease free fruit.  The Joni Mitchel song kept playing through my brain.



I'm not sure she'd be singing so happily if she saw the wheelbarrow of bug riddled apples I picked.


As I picked I was told to not worry about blemishes, "it's organic, people don't expect perfection". That may be true, but I'm not sure they expect that much protein in their apples either. ;-)

As the sun set I pedaled back home, with seven total miles for the day.

...but I did get the GPS project wrapped up finally!


 ..........road bike..........rollers........mtb.........lifecycle....total Today...........7...............0..............0...............0.............7 Jan............710................0..............0...............0...........710
Feb........... 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ...........701.............0..............0...............0............701
April..........749.................0..............0...............0..........749
May...........613.................0..............0...............0...........613
June............309...............0..............0...............0...........309
July...............615...............0..............0...............0............615
August.........359................0..............0...............0.............359
 Sept.............77................0...............0...............0..............77
Total..........4619...............0..............0...............0..........4619

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.