Tuesday, August 7, 2012

hardly worth blogging about

I took a last minute adventure by volunteering as support for Cascade Bicycle Club's 6 day "Ride Around Washington" (RAW).  My duty was originally to sweep the course late each afternoon for those that needed help getting back in.  I figured I could ride each day with the group until lunch then just ride back to my pickup in time to begin my sweep duties.

As it ended up, Cascade was short handed and I was pressed into full time ride support duties.  I helped with flats, supplied water and snacks, and helped with sag duties.  That left little time for riding.

I did however ride the 1/2 mile to a local watering hole in Palouse, WA tonight with a few of the riders.  I even made it the 1/2 mile back to camp when we finished.  ;-)

I was fascinated with the geology here.  I'm told that the soil is 100-200 feet thick on top of the base of volcanic rock so common in our area and visually evident in most locations east of the Cascades.  The entire layer is free from rocks and pebbles because it is composed of wind blown volcanic ash and glacial flour. The landscape looks very much like the sand dunes we are all familiar with except that it is covered with wheat, garbanzo beans, and lentils!





 ........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total Today.........1..............0..............0..........0..............1
 Jan.........105.............34.............0..........0..........139 Feb.........428............108.............0.........24..........536 March.......809..............0.............0.........22............831 April.........1010..............0.............0..........0.........1010 May..........1000..............0.............20..........0.......1020 June..........1500...............0...............0............0.....1500 July...........1558...............0................0............0......1558
 Aug................8..............0................0..........0...............8
 YTD........6344............142............20.........46.........6553

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.