Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Good Reminder

I did not ride many miles today but I did get a valuable some valuable training.
I pedaled off this morning thinking that 75-100 miles might be nice. As I rolled out it was 34 degrees with heavy fog. Short of 34 degrees and heavy rain this is just about my least favorite weather to ride in. I rode out along the Willamette River from Wilsonville toward Newberg.

I was not "feeling the love" and was making all sort of excuses why I had too many things to do to be out here riding when the weather was soooooo yucky.

Finally that little "bike pansy" climbed up on my shoulder and talked into my ear and convinced me to turn around and head back. As far as I knew the whole valley was fogged in and cold.

I arrived back home with a paltry 31 miles. I put the bike away and went on about my day doing the things I had on my "to do" list.

By dark the reports from friends began rolling in. The fog had been very localized. While this area suffered under the cold wet stuff, others had a decent day. I heard reports of rides of 50-80 miles being accomplished in decent weather.

So my mind goes back to ultracycling events. As long as the bike is moving, keep it moving. Current conditions can't predict conditions down the road. Keep pedaling.

Figuratively I was sitting in the support car DNFing watching the other competitors ride by to finish.

So I didn't ride much but had a lesson I thought I had learned before hammered back home.

........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........31..............0.............0..........0...........31
Jan..........70..............0.............0..........0...........70
YTD..........70..............0.............0..........0...........70

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.