Thursday, March 31, 2011

down to the wire...down with it

I've been struggling the last few months to keep from riding less than 500 miles in a month. To fall below 500 miles would be something I haven't done in quite some time, and I'm not sure I'm ready to fall below 500 quite yet.

As of last weekend I had 79 miles to go yet for my 500 mile March. I figured with the longer daylight I could pretty easily ride 15-20 miles each day after work and have it in the bag.

Then the week started.

I've been swamped at work. I have 40+ hours in already and it's only Thursday. I've got another full day plus tomorrow but that's NEXT month. On top of the earning the daily bread thing, I've been helping a friend out a bit a couple of the past evenings. Just because nobody claims you as a honey doesn't mean you don't get a list of honey-dos at times. ;-)

Needless to say the biking has suffered.

March has had only one rain free day this year, but after a few morning showers the afternoon turned out dry. After my 9 hour day I rushed home, put fresh batteries in the lights, and pedaled out in search of 80 miles beginning at 4PM.

I rode the Willamette Valley Bikeway. I chose this route because it's rural, low traffic, and pretty flat. I transported the bike across the Boone Bridge so I wouldn't have to ride on I-5 after dark, so began the ride from the Butteville Store.

I pedaled into a bit of a wind on the way south. Not bad because I knew that meant a tailwind on the way back. I turned around and put that wind to my back just before Independance.

I had my rear blinkies on for most of the ride and turned the front blinkie on around 6:30 PM. I had my Stella 300 LED headlight along but was really surprised by how long the days have become. With the mostly clear skies I didn't turn that bright light on until just after 8PM

I rolled back up to my pickup with 81 miles on the odometer and my 500 mile March on the books.

Talk about cutting it close. It could have just as well been dark and raining, it has been most of the month, but for a dry and warm evening I am most thankful.

So, now let's start April. Hopefully a bit more conducive to long miles on the bike.

..........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........81..............0.............0..........0......... 81
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........530..............0.............0..........0.........530
March.......502..............0.............0..........0.........502
YTD.......1516...............0............21..........7........1544

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could have rode along with you last night.
    Instead I took long walk with the dog, appreciated
    my new neighborhood, and enjoyed the sunset.
    I would have slowed you down anyway. Sunday for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.